PCV on 5G no Worky

JZH

Question

• Member Contributer

As mentioned on my Yellow Peril thread, I'm having an issue with the PCV unit using converted PCIII maps. The same (unconverted) map works fine using a PCIII, but as soon as I swap in the PCV using the converted map, the engine stumbles from about 5,500rpm on up. It is true that I don't need to use the PCV, but I want to mainly because I have an Autotune and an LCD display that work only with it. More gadgets are, of course, essential!

The base map I'm using was modified by Dan at A&A for the supercharger kit, but he only made it for the PCIII, so I've converted it to PCV format using the PCV software (which appears to average the 10% and 20% throttle position columns in order to populate the PCV-only 15% column). I think this is exactly what Dan did when he made the PCV-format maps for the 6th-gen kits, so the same technique should work on my PCV as well. I have not printed out and visually compared the converted and unconverted maps, but it's on my list of things to try.

Unfortunately, my experience with FI and Power Commanders is very limited, so I am not sure where to start to solve this puzzling problem. The PCV also uses speedo and temperature inputs (and the PCIII doesn't), so I've been looking at that difference, but I have no idea if I'm on the right track or not. Are there other differences that would make a converted PCIII map not work? Any ideas? TIA.

Cheers,

5 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Not yet--I was hoping to tap the font of all VFR knowledge, first!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Hmmm. I'm using the latest one from the PC website: 0.1.8.13.

Cheers,

• Member Contributer

That's the fixed one, so you're OK.

If possible, can you hand craft that map rather than import it? I would also recommend checking your ground connection from the PCV carefully as it needs a good solid ground. It uses the +12V common black/white wire for power and its own dedicated ground, much like the PCIII. If that ground is dodgy the injectors won't fire properly.

Also make sure you start with all the advanced PCV stuff turned off. No Autotune, no "map by gear", no speed monitor, no temperature monitor, etc. Keep the wires physically disconnected for now. When the problem has been eradicated, connect each one back up one at a time.

Archived