Weird Situation this past weekend

JayJay

Hey guys and gals - what do you make of this situation that happened to me with my 3rd Gen?

Background on bikes electrics:

Mint and well maintained 3rd Gen with 70K Kms on clock. Had new stator, RR (beefed up one), battery and one fried connector all replaced this year. Only running a GPS at the time (no other draw on system)

Situation:

I was stuck at the US boarder for almost an hour (slow stop and go, temp ~75F) when i stalled bike (k i admit it that was my fault)... when i tried to start it up again it only turned over once and then had low battery situation (no juice). I was able to jump it and while idling for about 3 minutes it just died on its own. I did not notice temp gauge and if it was overheating or not. I pushed through customs line and let it sit for 5 minutes. My buddy helped me push and jump it again and it ran fine the rest of weekend. It sat overnight and had plenty of juice in morning and started.

Should I worry? Would over-heating cause this behavoir?

Thanks,

Jay

• Member Contributer

I have a voltage monitor on my 4th gen

If I stop for a traffic light, it shows steady red, which means 10-11 VDC

Once I throttle up, it jumps to steady green = 12-15VDC

I run both headlights on, sometimes with GPS as well.

Since you were standing idling at the border, your battery was probably slowly discharging.

So either set your idle a bit higher the next time you loiter for an hour, or just switch everything off and roll it forward....

One hour at a border post? Sounds like the olden East Germany times are coming back :ph34r:

• Member Contributer

could be your fan was running constantly in those conditions, pretty significant draw @ idle charging rate. a good idea to install an onboard voltmeter as it makes it very much easier to keep an eye out for low charging episodes(vfr achilles heel). direct answer .....it might but further checks of all the little connection points for charge sys components advisable.

Thanks guys, likely fan and low idle did draw it down. headlights are always running also had brake lights engaged and GPS plugged in so will be careful. voltage meter is great idea and will check connectors again

• Member Contributer

had same issue once.. stopped in traffic. Bike eventually died. let it sit for a while, bumped it, and hasnt been an issue since.

Archived