Thanks!

Guest fcaprilia

Guest fcaprilia

Personal thanks to everyone on the forum for their insight and help. This weekend I traded my DCT for the Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring. The wealth of information that all of you have shared was extremely useful.

I didn't sell the saddle bags as I knew the dealer would not give me much for them.....will put them on Craigslist and/or eBay.

Enjoy riding and your bikes. Thank you.

• Member Contributer

I test rode one about 2 weeks ago. Liked it very much, different bike than our VFR's. I still like Honda's better. Plus I have $10,000 left in my pocket.

If I was going to trade, it would be the Multi. Enjoy your bike. Ride safe.

Mark

PS. I'm not going to trade. This big VFR fits my riding better than any other bike I've owned.

I went from a 5th gen to the MTS1200 about a year and and a half ago. I loved the V4 and there is no better sounding engine, but I wanted to try a sporting V-twin. The 1200 motor is a true beast, although not as smooth as the Honda. LOTS of torque. I love the upright riding position and the leg room, it is a very comfortable bike. The wide bars provide a lot of leverage and I found myself entering turns too early when it was new and it felt a little like riding a deer stand due to the height, but you quickly adjust. When riding agressively, it is more of a challenge to get my toes on the pegs due to the heels of my boots hitting the passenger peg hangers. It splays my foot at a slightly awkward angle so I end up keeping my feet a little more forward on the pegs and it wears my toe sliders accordingly. The true magic on this bike (the S model anyway) is the Ohlins suspension. I love being able to adjust on the fly to account for differing road conditions. A common bitch about the bike is the rear brake but it doesn't bother me. I can engage the ABS with the rear brake and lock it up if ABS is off. I think the complaints have more to do with the fact that there just isn't a lot of weight on the rear during braking and it will naturally limit the effectivenness of the rear brake. The front brakes are very powerful. Traction control and ABS were tested early in my ownership as I adjusted to the differences in throttle response and braking effectiveness that fifty percent more displacement and 12 model years of improvement provided over my 98 VFR. I switched to a shortly windscreen because the stock windscreen was way too noisy for my taste. I have a little over 12,000 miles on it and it has averaged about 36 mpg over the life of the bike. However, with the latest software update to the ecu, the mileage is typically in the 38 to 40 mpg range during sport riding junkets. I had one minor issue with the clutch that was resolved by bleeding. So far, I am very pleased.

My experience so far:

Went for a 2hr test ride prior to my purchase. Could not believe how precise and easy it was to control at low speeds and high speeds. The 200+lbs in weight delta, the Ohlin suspension and the wider handlebars make it very easy and intuitive to lean the bike into a turn and with little to no effort to maintain a smooth clean line through the turn. It feels like you are riding a 250 from a pure weight perspective. The suspension is superb. In touring mode the ride was smooth and yet around the corners it was very predictable. It is fully adjustable on the fly and the presets are very well balanced (you can customize to whatever you want).

The thing that impressed me the most has been comfort. After the 2 hr ride, I did not feel fatigued at all. Could have ridden all day. The seating position is excellent. No weight on your wrists and arms. This not only helped with comfort but also enables fine well controlled counter steering input.

The engine is fantastic too. Given the power to weight ratio, it is deceivingly quick and has a lot of torque. So far the only thing I can say is that the rear brake has not much to offer. The front Brembo's instill a lot of confidence however. The luggage is similar to the vfr in capacity and mounting.

The bike just works for me. It is more money than the VFR but has a lot to offer in my opinion.

Sorry to see you go... How much for the saddlebags? Any pic's?

The left saddle bag is in new condition and the right one has scratches on it - no operational issues etc. I am asking for $700 for both.

If I was going to trade, it would be the Multi. Enjoy your bike. Ride safe.

Mark

PS. I'm not going to trade. This big VFR fits my riding better than any other bike I've owned.

Thank you.

Loved the multi when I was looking for a new bike, but a shaft drive was one of my requirements due to high mileage even in the winter.

People are easily forgetting that the VFR is a shaft drive bike when mentioning the weight.

If weather conditions here were better or I didn't need the bike all year, I could have ended up with a MS.

Have fun on the multi, I know I had!

Archived