How I installed my "Ram Mount Ball"

• Member Contributer

Here's how I installed my 1" Ram Mount Ball. I use it for my GPS but you could use it for anything that you want.

First I went by my local Bicycle shop and got a 1" Star Flange nut (used for the fork stem mounts) then you drill out the threads, so you can put your bolt through from the bottom side. Drive it in the Head Tube just far enough so the bolt still sticks out enough to thread on the Ball. And yes you'll have to drill out the small plastic cap.

2012-08-15190331.jpg

2012-08-15190121.jpg

2012-08-15190114.jpg

Here is the Ball that is screwed on the top, and yes it's very secure.

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-female-0.25-20-thread-hex-on-b-ball-ram-b-337u.html

Nicely done!

FYI...Ram makes a center stem mount kit that includes the ball and everything you need to mount. It has a rubber insert that goes in the hole and expands as you tighten to create grip. Costs about $14 retail. Works well.

FYI...Ram makes a center stem mount kit that includes the ball and everything you need to mount. It has a rubber insert that goes in the hole and expands as you tighten to create grip. Costs about $14 retail. Works well.

Glory, I tried this kit (on my '94) but wasn't impressed with the result - was not very solid, to the point I was concerned about it pulling out. The fit just seemed way too loose. Maybe I was being paranoid?

And yes Crazybrother, nicely done!

• Member Contributer

How long is the length of bolt on the bottom and how did you secure it?

The bolt is about 2" long, I'll take it apart tonight and try to get a good pic.

I also forgot to mention, I have a backing nut just under the plastic cap.

• Member Contributer

Nicely done!

I had that one on my sixth gen, but it would still move around and never felt secure. This one will not even move!

Thanx for the pics...again, very nicely done.

I also suffer from this disease...buying items to use for something other than their intended purpose. Couldn't tell you how many times I have been to a store looking for items/ideas. I usually just walk around with a stupid/dumbfounded look on my face. The poor employees always ask if I need help. I respond, "Probably just best to let me aimlessly wander around."

• 3 years later...
On 8/17/2012 at 10:42 AM, gloryracing said:

Thanx for the pics...again, very nicely done.

I also suffer from this disease...buying items to use for something other than their intended purpose. Couldn't tell you how many times I have been to a store looking for items/ideas. I usually just walk around with a stupid/dumbfounded look on my face. The poor employees always ask if I need help. I respond, "Probably just best to let me aimlessly wander around."

i've done that too....a clerk asked if he could help me and i said, "no, ...i'm inventing something"

Archived