Replacing wheel bearings/where to buy wheel bearings

Guest smithe2

Guest smithe2

So I ran over a screw a week or so ago and am just now pulling the wheels to get get new tires put on, I figure I will replace the front wheel bearings while I'm at it, as I know they're stock and they feel a little bumpy when I spin them with my finger. I did a little research on here and only found some discussion concerning the manufacturers of bearing (Chinese, German, Etc.). So to make this easy on myself I have two questions. 1. Where can I find the best wheel bearings to use? and 2. How do I replace them? I'd rather not be gouged by the local shop, and from what I understand from reading around its not too difficult. The service manual doesn't address it, do I just remove the brake discs and seals, then pop the new ones in? I'm still a bit of a novice here.

Thanks,

E

• Member Contributer

I think OEM bearings are the best option and that is all I will use. Getting them out can be a little challenging since you'll have to push the spacer tube on the inside of the wheel to the side to expose the inner race so you can strike it from the opposite side using a punch tool. I eventually got tired of banging my hand with a hammer and finally broke down and bought a bearing pulling tool from Harbor Freight for about $35 with coupon. It makes the job much easier and safer. Getting the new bearings in can be made easier if you put them in the freezer for a few hours prior to installing and then heating up the wheel hub with a torch to expand the metal a bit. Also remember you should never re-install old bearings since the removal process usually damages them. When reinstalling the new bearings remember to use plenty of grease to help the bearing slide in and only apply force to the outer race of the bearing, never strike the inner race when reinstalling or you risk damaging the new bearing. YouTube should have plenty of videos if you are confused by anything I've said.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

H. S. did a very comprehensive guide with pictures:

http://www.vfrdiscus...ge__hl__bearing

Although he's working on a 5th gen bike, the process would be essentially the same for any bike.

As to where to buy:

RollingAgain is correct as to brand; OEM is probably the smartest choice for wheel bearings.

One other reason for OEM is the bearing seals.

The bearings themselves can be bought from a wide variety of sources that carry the standard bearing maker lines (Fafnir, Koyo, NTN, Timken, etc...), since they're not unique to the application.

The seals, however, are going to be tougher to find for a particular application if you look elsewhere.

Bearing part number: 91054-MAM-003

Seal part number: 91257-MAY-003

As to sellers:

Aside from your local dealer, there are a number of reputable online stores that carry the bearings and seals.

Here are two that I've used in the past:

Service Honda:

http://www.servicehonda.com/parts.html

Bearing - about $19

Seal - about $6

MR cycles:

http://www.mrcycles....ge.asp?pg=honda

Bearing - about $21

Seal - about $6

Awesome info. Appreciate it. I'll check out my honda store to see how much their bearing are, might pay more just to get them in there and start riding again. The process doesn't seem too difficult.

I bought mine from All Balls Racing. Same place I get steering head bearings from. Their kits come with the bearings and seals.

I've probably put 20 sets of them in different wheels over the years (most of them removed for powdercoating the wheels) and never had a problem.

https://www.allballsracing.com/

• Member Contributer

1++ on the All Balls bearing Kits and they show up in the mail, instead of drivivng 2hr R/T to dealer. Just replaced mine on a 94 last week (used punch to knock out and correct sized socket to drive in, EASY)

Thanks. I just called my local shop, wanted 62 bucks for two bearings and seals. That kit has two bearings and seals for 18 plus shipping. Whoa.

• Member Contributer

Yep, and I've been running them for years in numerous bike with no problems. Also check out your dust seals visually on the outside, if they look good, you can save a few $'s by ordering the bearings only. I've never destroyed a dust seal by removing it, by popping it out w/ a flat bladded screwdriver

Okay, Im going to order new bearings from allballs and replace them in a week or so. I put both wheels back on today with the old bearings still in, figure they are okay as they didn't wiggle or anything. My only concern is that when I took the axle out I had to tap it out from the right hand side with a ratchet extension, I fear I may have made contact with the inner race of the bearings. I didn't have to pound the life out of the axle to get it out, I just couldn't pull it from the left side. Now I'm wondering if she's safe to ride :sad:

• Member Contributer

Huh? Whatever happened to:

I did a little research on here and only found some discussion concerning the manufacturers of bearing (Chinese, German, Etc.).

I don't know for sure where All Balls Racing gets its wheel bearings, but I do know that they avoid mentioning it on their Web site...which leads me to believe that they're probably selling the best Chinese-manufactured bearings they can find. :huh:

I'm not a bearing expert, but I have researched bearings before and I'm a little puzzled about some of the comments above. First of all, OEM bearings will be fine, full stop. If you want to buy bearings from Honda, you can't go wrong (though they will be the most expensive bearings you can buy). Honda will only put their packaging on the good stuff--but, like All Balls, they don't manufacture them, either.

Secondly, 6004-2RS (20x42x12, 2 rubber seals) deep groove ball bearings are as bog-freakin'-standard as you can possibly get (apart from skate bearings, I suppose). And there's certainly nothing exotic about the 28x42x8 oil seals, either. These bearings are made by virtually every bearing manufacturer on the planet--you are spoiled for choice. All Balls provides convenience--they buy the bearings in bulk and put two of them (and two seals) in a pretty package for you. If you don't need that service (or don't want to pay for it), just take the specs and shop around for them. Your biggest problem will be finding someone not in the retail motorsports industry who will sell you just two bearings or seals! (I've never used them, but I see that www.vxb.com has double-sealed Nachi (Japan) 6004s for $7ea. The seals don't seem to offer much room for discount, as they're only about $5 from the Honda online retailers to begin with.)

Ciao,

Archived