Trailer for VFR1200

Guest gastockman

Guest gastockman

I'll want to take my VFR1200 with me while traveling in my motorhome. I want an enclosed trailer to protect the bike and other gear from the elements. I also want to go with as small a trailer as possible.

Any suggestions on size? I'm considering a 5 x 10' with back door as a ramp. Will this be enough trailer?

Thanks.

Glenn

• Member Contributer

You'd have about 6" spare with a 5' x 8'... Rear door as a ramp and a roof that tilted up on gas struts would be the go...

Been racing bikes and pulling trailers for many years. Getting a bit larger than you need is more convenient and usually turns out more useful. You want to have enough room for your gear to not touch/rub/damage the bike during travel. And being able to move around easily in the trailer is nice. The little difference in additional size/weight really does not have much effect on the towing of the trailer. Especially behind a motorhome. Spare tire is a definate.

• Member Contributer

The smaller the trailer, the more difficult it will be to back-up while using a long wheelbase vehicle such as a motorhome. But my 5X10 enclosed is plenty spacious for my 800 and any other things I might need.

I have an open 5x8. I've use it to haul my 6th gen to/from service. Plenty of room to spare both in length and width. An enclosed trailer would be better to keep it protected from the elements and potential theft, but I think would limit it's utility for other purposes. Which ever style you get, make sure you order it with more tiedown hooks or D-rings than you think you'll need; this will allow you the flexibility for other future needs.

I don't have a truck; only a car and an SUV. I've used my trailer for anything a pickup truck can do. Really handy if you're a frequent Home Depot customer.

Thanks for the replies. I'll likely go with a 5 x 10' v-nose (get 2 more ft up front).

Anybody have issues with people trying to break into your enlosed trailers?

Thanks again.

Glenn

Though you need a slow Harley with a trailer rather than a VFR1200. That makes the VFR1200 called touring/cruising bike, not a Sport-touring any more.

He's talking about a trailer to put the VFR inside of, not a trailer to pull behind the VFR.

• Member Contributer

Though you need a slow Harley with a trailer rather than a VFR1200. That makes the VFR1200 called touring/cruising bike, not a Sport-touring any more.

He's talking about a trailer to put the VFR inside of, not a trailer to pull behind the VFR.

Would be quite a site though, a VFR12 with a 5' x 10' enclosed trailer behind it... :ohmy:

• Member Contributer

I have had good luck with a 5x8,with an RV I would go wider and longer,but I also pull the trailer with my 94 Pathfinder which is why I had to go shorter. Also have a carrier rack for the RV-post-19304-0-17744100-1344450767.jpgpost-19304-0-81149400-1344450773.jpgpost-19304-0-68497500-1344450780.jpgpost-19304-0-46431800-1344450787.jpgpost-19304-0-92274700-1344450793.jpgsometimes I have to ask for a hand loading or unloading if it is really hot and I can not find a slope to help me out. Stay out in the boonies all over north America, this month I am on the N.M./Colo. border - no problems ,mate. Once you get out of the cities it is a far different world out here. A few pics.

I pulled a 6'X14' behind mine once with 3 bikes in it. Also had a generator, spare tire, gear, etc. It pulled pretty nice to Ohio and back. I think I actually got better fuel mileage with it back there too. I've also pulled a 5'X8' open trailer behind it with 2 bikes.

I also have a rack to go in the hitch of the motor home which I've used for my GSXR, although I think the VFR is way too heavy for that type of carry. It is only rated for 600 lbs which is not enough of a margin for my comfort zone.

Like hondalover said, the longer trailer will be easier to back up than the shorter one.

Depending how big you get, consider getting brakes on the trailer as well.

gallery_1859_4047_631148.jpg

• Member Contributer

The m/c carrier on the back of my little RV is way overkill for a vfr,multistrad or bmw rt. It was built for a Harley pfat-boy and rated for 1000 lbs. But, $400 on CL. The trailer was $1100 on CL.

The carrier is so heavy that I had to add air bags to the rear suspension of the RV.

Would be quite a site though, a VFR12 with a 5' x 10' enclosed trailer behind it... :ohmy:

Ohho.... Sorry for my misunderstanding. That's cool. :tour:

The m/c carrier on the back of my little RV is way overkill for a vfr,multistrad or bmw rt. It was built for a Harley pfat-boy and rated for 1000 lbs. But, $400 on CL. The trailer was $1100 on CL.

The carrier is so heavy that I had to add air bags to the rear suspension of the RV.

What is the tongue weight rating on the hitch? Most aren't that high, especially sticking out 2-3 feet from the hitch.......unless it is a diesel motor home. Those usually have pretty high ratings.

My motorhome is small - Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis. Tongue weight maximum is 500 lbs making a rack/lift impossible. I want a trailer so I can also carry gear, supplies etc.

Ordered a 5 x 10' v-nose and will pick it up this weekend.

Archived