Caliper & M/C question(s)

Knute

Question

• Member Contributer

Going to do the F4i fork swap on my 6th gen and recently purchased a matching set of calipers and m/c off a 2001 F4i donor bike with 3800 miles... or so the eBay listing said. Anyway, from the outside the setup looks to be in very good condition, question, would you just run them or rebuild first? In inspecting them with my untrained eye the pistons all come out using small short burst of compressed air and can be pushed back in with somewhat firm pressure, some go in just a little easier that the others. Just kind of need some direction as I've never dealt with any of this before, maybe some testing procedures?

Another question, I'd like to paint the m/c, any particular type of paint I should use? For that matter how 'bout if I wanted to paint the calipers, any special type of paint?

6 answers to this question

If there is no sign of oil or corrosion on the pistons I would just clean them off and run them! Caution using compressed air as you can blow the pistons right out of the body.

Prep is the biggest part of changing colors, but powder coating would be more durable IMO.

BR

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the reply BR. I was kind of thinking I could just run them, but I want to do this the right way. If they should be rebuilt I don't have any problems going that route either, I just don't know quite what way to go. I was careful and did lower the air pressure considerably, I don't think I did any damage.

I would at least pop the pistons out and inspect/clean the calipers internally before running them.

For paint, VHT makes a good product which I used on my rear caliper. Comes in several colours.

http://www.vhtpaint....s/caliperpaint/

photo

• Member Contributer

I would at least pop the pistons out and inspect/clean the calipers internally before running them.

For paint, VHT makes a good product which I used on my rear caliper. Comes in several colours.

http://www.vhtpaint....s/caliperpaint/

Ok, I can do that. If all looks good can I just reassemble using the original seals? I'm guessing at a minimum I'll need new joint seals...

Thanks for the link on the paint too.

• Member Contributer

If the pistons aren't scored, I would just clean them up and install new seals. The seals are cheap.

And hey, it's your brakes. They're kinda important.

48ced1a29ce07a54-main.jpg

Yeah, I hear ya! Just looking for some advice as this is uncharted territory for me. Thanks!

Archived