6Th Gen Fuel Pressure Regulator

Guest themerlinator

Guest themerlinator

Looking for some help/advice?

I have a new FRP and I need to install it. How do you discharge the pressure in the fuel lines prior to removing the FRP?

Any advice?

• Member Contributer

And don't forget that the fuel return line from the FPR has no check valve. Whatever fuel is in the tank will flow out when you remove it. Have a gas can ready unless you remove the tank completely and turn it upside down before removing the line from the FPR.

On my 5th gen the gas keeps pouring back from the return line.

Best way is to tip the tank way way up, then siphon all the gas possible from the tank, keeping the hose shoved all the way to the rear of the tank.

• Member Contributer

Gas will only flow from the tank if the pump is powered on.

Buzzzzzzzzzz...Thanks for playing, but you are incorrect, Mr. Speed. OK, you are partially correct in that the pressurized line will not flow if the pump is not powered; however, the line connected to the FPR goes directly back to the tank. If you have fuel in the tank and you disconnect the fuel return line, fuel will pour out of the line.

• Member Contributer

I've done this job a bunch of times. Here's the skinny:

1. Drain the tank (cheapest solution is a shaker syphon)
  2. Remove tank front bolts
  3. Remove seat
  4. Remove tank rear bolts
  5. Place thick soft rag (like a large towel) where the seat used to be
  6. Gently flip the tank and lay it upside-down on the towel
  7. Get a rag handy and hold near the fuel return line that goes to the fuel pressure regulator
  8. Remove the fuel return line from the tank and let the fuel in it drain out into a small cup or container
  9. Remove the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator
  10. Remove the fuel return line from the Fuel Pressure Regulator
  11. Using two separate spanners, brace the fuel rail with one spanner and use the other spanner to loosen the regulator
  12. Remove the regulator and install the new one, reversing this procedure!

Gas will only flow from the tank if the pump is powered on.

Buzzzzzzzzzz...Thanks for playing, but you are incorrect, Mr. Speed. OK, you are partially correct in that the pressurized line will not flow if the pump is not powered; however, the line connected to the FPR goes directly back to the tank. If you have fuel in the tank and you disconnect the fuel return line, fuel will pour out of the line.

Sorry, been a while since I installed the last turbo city fpr. Now that I think about it, I simply kinked that line and clamped it. You could use forceps too.

• Member Contributer

3. Remove seat
  7. Get a rag handy and hold near the fuel return line that goes to the fuel pressure regulator
  8. Remove the fuel return line from the tank and let the fuel in it drain out into a small cup or container
  11. Using two separate spanners, brace the fuel rail with one spanner and use the other spanner to loosen the regulator

This is a very good procedure but it can be simplified. Rather than draining the tank with a syphon (unless the shaker allows you to practice for some other useful activity), the tank can be draned using the fuel retun line into a fuel can. And the tank does not need to be removed - just lifted in the front. If a little more room is needed, the lanyard on the tank can be removed to allow the tank to be raised a bit more. Just a suggestion...YMMV

Crack the banjo bolt at the tank, have rags handy. Remove all sources of ignition front the work area first!

Good luck, FPR's are a pita.

Thanks

And don't forget that the fuel return line from the FPR has no check valve. Whatever fuel is in the tank will flow out when you remove it. Have a gas can ready unless you remove the tank completely and turn it upside down before removing the line from the FPR.

Thanks

3. Remove seat

Many thanks

Archived