Added brake lights to my Givi top case

MagnetMan

Just added brake lights to my givi E360 topcase. I'm sure this has been done before, but I thought I'd link the LEDs I used in case anyone wants to do this. On a 4th gen, you just need to tap the Green/Yellow (hot) wire and the Green wire (ground) to the tail lights for the brake. For running lights and turn signals you could just cut the LED strips however long you want and wire them as needed. I pulled the clear red plastic off and the LED strips fit right in the center groove on the inside of the plastic piece. I ran the wires through a small hole in the bottom of the case to bullet connectors so I can remove the case.

At $6 for the LEDs, a couple dollars for wire and bullet connectors, it's substantially cheaper than the kit sold online (over $100).

LED's I used:

41tub%252BNZ6rL.jpg

http://www.amazon.co...2T1_ST1_3p_dp_1

Results:

2012-07-14_12-15-36_169.jpg

Looks great. Can you please post pics of where you installed the lights? like from inside the bag? did you have to drill holes? Any waterproofing considerations?

I'm assuming the materials were found online? Perhaps links to where you found your material?

Thanks in advance.

• Member Contributer

Nice!

I thought about putting some in my Honda topcase, but opted to mount them to the rack so that I would still have the additional lights when I left the case at home.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Yes Details Please!!!! I'd like to do this to my E360 side cases which I guess are the same as what you have.

Also how many did you use? all 4 for the one box or just 2?

• Member Contributer

I pulled the clear red plastic off and the LED strips fit right in the center groove on the inside of the plastic piece.

Thanks for the eBay link. What was involved with pulling the plastic off the e360? How did you reattach it? Silicon, or does it just snap back in? Did you use just one 24cm strip on each side of the case?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

If the OP doesn't mind, here is my detailed install.

I ordered the same ones linked to in the first post. Shipped out quick and arrived within a week.

IMG_9283Medium.jpg

All were working, they're bright.

IMG_9287Medium.jpg

I have the same E360 Givi bag. There are 3 small screws on the inside of the bag, left, right and rear. With those removed the front red panel and the 2-piece rear black panels come off.

IMG_9293Medium.jpg

IMG_9295Medium.jpg

The LED's do fit in the center channel but you have to turn them on their side because of the height.

IMG_9300Medium.jpg

IMG_9306Medium.jpg

I decided to run the wires around the outside of the bag, under the red and black panels. This eliminates any drilling of the trunk. It's waterproof as is and I didn't want to chance creating a leak. I didn't have a quick disconnect so I put in a couple connectors for now.

IMG_9311Medium.jpg

Wire in to the green/yellow and green wires at the rear brake lights and it's good to go.

LEDs.jpg

If I was taking my time I'd probably use a few dabs of clear silicon to hold the LED's and wiring in place before re-assembly. Would have made it a little easier. I only used 2 of the 4 LED strips.

Thanks for the thread and the tip, I've wanted to do this for awhile.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I guess this wouldn't work so well if you are using it as a sidecase, unless you want to light up the sky. I did order a set of the led's and may find some way to use them.

• Member Contributer

Update: Early last week on the commute work from home I noticed my FI light 'flickering' rapidly at idle.(!) I disconnected the LED's and haven't had a problem since. My quick google search indicated a possible ground issue with LED lights. I'm going to test it out this weekend but I'm not sure the $5 Chinese LED's are sufficiently wired for ground, and/or the rear brake light circuit may not provide enough of a ground circuit for the additional amps. Plan to test the LED's and my brake light circuit but I don't want a repeat of the FI light issue.

• Member Contributer

A quick note:

If red LEDs are an available option, go with them. Ideally you want the same color LED as the lens.

No idea about the FI light, though. I have a full LED tail light that functions exactly as stock, so why would adding LED's to yours cause that? The only similar issue I had was when I tried to replace the actual FI lightbulb with LED. It was always on at about half brightness.

• Member Contributer

No idea about the FI light, though. I have a full LED tail light that functions exactly as stock, so why would adding LED's to yours cause that? The only similar issue I had was when I tried to replace the actual FI lightbulb with LED. It was always on at about half brightness.

Could be I have other electrical issues and it wasn't the LED's. Just found today.

IMG_9328Small.jpg

• 7 months later...

Archived