knocking noise from around sidestand area

So, I've been hearing and feeling a hammering noise upon acceleration for a bit and realized my chain was quite loose. Adjusted it but it's still doing it. I can feel it in my left footpeg and hear it. Any ideas?

The wheel sprocket looks ok, haven't checked the drive sprocket. The chain wear indicator isn't even close to saying it's time for a new one. It's only been on 4 years, maybe 12K miles...I'm not hard on it. My buddy owns a bike shop; guess I'll drag it up there and see what they say.

• Member Contributer

did you buy the bike new? does the bike only have 12k miles?

If not, perhaps the previous owner changed only the rear sprocket and chain and your chain is jumping around a worn front sprocket.

wont know until you remove the countershaft sprocket cover and take a peek...and most sprockets look ok to the eye unless you know what it should look like. lay a sprocket that looks ok on top of a replacement and see the hooks in the teeth.

I did not buy it new but I had the chain put on during my ownership. I know what a bad sprocket looks like, so yes, I need to pull the cover and have a peek. The wheel sprocket is ok.

I assume the chain is adjusted, so have you pulled on the chain at 3 o'clock to see if it pulls away from the sprocket?

is there a kink in the chain? I know that will make a pretty good noise

what about putting it on the center stand and putting it in gear to see if the noise is repeatable?

is there a kink in the chain? I know that will make a pretty good noise

what about putting it on the center stand and putting it in gear to see if the noise is repeatable?

Good point.......

It does not pull away at the 3 o'clock position and when I was adjusting it, I spun it all the way around many times and checked the tension at about a dozen different spots. There didn't seem to be any kinks.

I am going to put it up on the rear stand to check the front sprocket. I don't have a centerstand due to the 2 Bros full system, but it repeats alright...every time I ride it!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar problem with my VFR - 1997, almost 25k miles.

The chain looks fine, and so does the rear sprocket, but because of my situation I can't check the front sprocket until a couple weeks.

It seems though, when on it's center stand, that in low RPM and low gearing, the chain "snaps". I'd assume either the chain is loose (especially when it heats up) or that the front sprocket is fairly worn.

Archived