2010 Issues?

Auron

So I wasn't really interested in a VFR1200 after I test rode one, but there are a few new 2010 DCT's for sale near me for $10,000!!!

That changes everything, If I was going to buy one at all, it was going to be a 2012 to avoid buying a first year bike. Other that the 2nd gear hole, are there any mechanical issues showing up?

What a interesting Avator........ Can't tell what's real or not these days, but love the concept.......... Can't help on your question, though...

There are many riders who have put some serious mileage on their 2010 V12's. I'm still just getting started having put a little over 3k miles on mine. I think the bike holds up well, certainly as good as any other Honda product, which speaks for itself.

That said, I have had my share of buyers remorse. It's not fatal, though, and with a few of the many upgrades you can find on this site that other owners have done, you're going to be good to go.

A new 2012 is going to cost a ton of money, at least for now. For a whole lot less than that, you can have a 2010, with all the upgrades and mods you want, and still not spend the kind of money you would for a '12, especially if your initial purchase price on the 2010 is 10K.

Lots of owners here paid a lot more for the first year bike, including me. While I feel I bought it right, and bought it deeply discounted, if I could have held off for 3 months, I'd have saved about $2k more!

The bright blue of the 2012 is another of my reasons for skipping this years model, but that's just me.

Do a search for "modifications" on this site, and you'll see a few threads on what everyone has been buying.

Remember, on the DCT, you're stuck with the 1st and 2nd gear power band flat-spot. It doesn't bother some at all. I have the manual shift, and fixed it.

I'd love to have the next model of this great bike...

I have a 2010 model with 30k km. The bike is very good (a true VFR) with the following mandatory modifications:

- Z-Bomb (60 Euro in Italy)

- Shock absorber. I have the FG Gubellini, a whole different world (800 Euro)

I have tested the 2012 version during the VFR national meeting in the Dolomiti and the main difference is the smoothness at low speed or low engine rpm.

The torque is higher and the shaft backlash is near disappeared: a big improvement when you use the bike in the trafic or in the tight roads (like in the Dolomiti).

The Z-Bomb is no more required, but the shock absorber is still the same.

From the mechanical point of view, the 1200 has no weak points and there are some Italians with more than 50k km without even a small problem (even no crack panel).

I don't know the price in USA for the 2012 model, but up to 3000 USD I prefer it instead of 2010. If the difference is higher, then it is better to think a little more.

You know, I have to say, I'm in no position to buy a bike right now. I'd have to use my savings and bank on getting a job as a new-grad this winter. I think I'll wait until the '12's go on clearance and maybe snag one after Christmas. I thought I could deal with the hole in the powerband in 2nd but I didn't know it was in 1st too. Blue doesn't bother me even though I can't imagine who thought it was a good idea, especially when they've sold so few. Black or dark grey looks awesome!

My advice is to buy one if you are in the market. Don't hold off because of the "hole" in first and second. It is there, but it honestly isnt really that bad IMHO. I did buy a Bazzaz unit mostly out of curiosity and it is clearly better, but if I was forced to remove it from my bike I would still keep this bike as well as buy another without hesitation. Most fun bike I've had in my stable.

There was a fuel remap issued for 10 and 11 bikes, which works a treat and really smooths-out the delivery. The hesitation in 1st and 2nd isn't really that bad anyway and you get used to it. My 11 DCT is coming-up 16k miles and have had no DCT or engine related problems. I've had 2 replacement rear shock assemblies due to the well-known seized pre-load adjuster problem and I've also had a completely new front brake system replacement, but I think I was just the unlucky one with that particular issue. Everything's been fixed under warranty anyway.

I use the bike every day and it's been great. It even made it through all the recent flooding we've had recently over here and coped better than most cars. I love it :fing02:

Unfortunately the fuel remap has not been made available in North America - at least not in Canada. The fuelling would be my only complaint with the DCT, but I can certainly live with it - I just drive a bit differently knowing that I don't have instant power in that rev range to get me out of trouble in a (typically, city traffic) emergency situation.

• Member Contributer

We recieved no 2011 models in the US. there were still plent of stock of '10s.

I've had 2 replacement rear shock assemblies due to the well-known seized pre-load adjuster problem....

Crap, it is a well known-issue? I went on a long ride a few weeks ago on some crappy roads, and damn near couldn't get the thing to budge when I tried to soften up the rear-end a little. Are there any known fixes besides replacement? My bike is under warranty, but repairs are a hassle.

I've owned bikes for decades and this "hole" is imperceptible on my DCT.

Describing it as "inexcusable" after a test ride is remarkable.

Then there was something wrong with the one I rode. I don't even know if it was the hole but the ran like a ratty old ZX9R from 3500-5000K. After that it was warp speed awesomeness.

Have to agree that there may have been something wrong... mine certainly does not run like a "ratty old ZX9R", and like TOYSRME, I too cannot really discern the "hole" the way I drive it...

The ONLY thing I don't like is the ugly ass exhaust can. That's getting rectified by Christmas as I save cash for my Akrapovic.

Surely you don't want the DAM? Best looking for the VFR by far imho.

I put 4000+ miles on my DCT 2010 in 4 months. I would say there is a defect on the right rear gray panel. I cracked up around 2K miles and I got it replaced by the dealer. I have to deal with traffic everyday and believe me, I love the automatic transmission. When riding in a group, its acceleration is top knotch, smooth and quick. I ran into heavy rain couple of times, it has never been giving me a slippery feeling. ABS is another awesome feature. For $10K, I think it is worthed every penny you are going to spend.

Archived