suspension-Ride height

Nsoley1974

• Member Contributer

This is a newby question and I wont have any time to work on the bike for at least a week or two as I have full time school, full time work, and I just had 24 yards of dirt dropped off to move. But anyways, I mentioned this a bit on my newby thread. I need to lower my bike a tad, I can touch only flat foot with one foot, and tippy toed the other. I also want an aftermarket seat so when I do go for a long trip my ass dont get too sore. I need to lower the bike a bit and I am gathering a few different things. There is the flipping the triangle piece on the suspension lower area, which sounds like I should also lower the forks a bit. I also see on the rear shock there is the notches where you could spin the rear shock. Couldn't I lower it be changing that a bit or does that do something else as well?

Thanks,

Nathan

Hey Nathan, welcome!

Flipping the triangle plates at the bottom of the rear shock works great and lowers the rear aprox 1.5". I would slide the fork tubes up in the triples an equal amount to keep the bikes correct rake. You will need however to shorten the sidestand also.

BR

• Member Contributer

Well that sounds like the way to go, but the shortening of the kickstand sounds kinda crappy. I have read you can buy an adjustable one. I think I will keep watching this thread and either buy some boots with more sole on them or just deal with it. I will have more time in a few months once I graduate and have a few other things out of the way. My F4i was the same with my Corbin seat on it, but that was about 80-100 pounds less and when you are on your feet you can feel it.

• Member Contributer

I believe the notches you are reffering to are the spring preload adjustment settings, so yes they will have an affect on the bike. Setting the spring preload on your suspension should be a part of your bike setup, especially if you are lowing it.

Getting a custom seat that is lower could solve both height and comfort issues with out compromising the handling or ground clearance of the bike.

Soupys sells adjustable kickstands.

http://www.soupysperformance.com/catalog/item/4408900/7420224.htm

Alternatively, you could buy a used one off eBay and have it shortened and save your original one for future owners?

Don't forget to raise the forks a like amount to level the bike out.

Archived