Sigma Cycle Lowering LInks....need advice

I went down to the cycle shop to check on my 1996 VFR 750 and after seeing the bike with the Sigma Cycle lowering dogbones ( ad claims loers bike about 1.5 inches ) i was amazed at how low and awkward the stance of the bike was. The links appear to have lowered the bike closer to 2 inches. I took the bike out for a short spin and everything seemed fine, although over a speed bump at very low speed the bottom of the bike touched down. I am concerned about the amount the bike has been lowered interms of ground clearance and suspension travel....the shop says its fine and one of there taller heavier riders tested it and said it was fine. Iam considering putting it back to stock......however about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of lowering would be ideal. Does anyone know if the triangle piece can be reversed to help lower the bike or does this fix only apply to the 5th generation vfr 800 bikes. Any advice would be helpful....bike as is is too low, looks like a hayabusa drag bike....bike in stock form is a bit tall, i am only 5'4" with an inseam of 27 inches. i have riding experience and have ridden the bike twice....once at normal height with big soled dayton boots ( 2inch heel ) and once in the superlow position.......need advice soon befoere i pick up bike ....thanks.

If you only need a little lowering, I might suggest getting Sargent to cut down the front of your seat, and narrow the nose a bit so you can get your legs straighter. That, and a set of riding boots with chunky soles might be enough, with the suspension set back to stock???

• Member Contributer

Did they also slide the forks up the triples? If not, I can understand why the stance was awkward as your front was too high! I also suspect you needed some additional shock preload as changing the dogbone effectively reduced your shock preload.

I've done the triangle mod, but I also have a lower Rick Mayer seat, and adjusted my fork tubes in the triples accordingly. I don't have any ill effects, just needed to add 3 clicks to the shock preload, and I've run that way for 17,000 miles. But I have a sixth gen. Is the triangle that connects the engine, shock and dogbone an isoscles triangle (two sides the same length and the third shorter)? If so, this should work.

You will also need to move the fork tubes up or down in the triples, depending on what was done before to set up the proper stance and restore tip in for cornering. Be careful with lowering the front as this can effect stability and set you up for a tank slapper! Make your changes slowly and use a caliper to know how much you are moving the tubes. A caliper is also necessary to ensure that both forks are set the same. I used a floor jack under the engine to assist with this process and changed my forks one leg at a time. I set mine up to make the bottom of the lower front fairing level. There is a lot of guidance on this site for this exercise. I would heed the collective wisdom.

Changing stock suspension geometry always affects how the bike handles, so this process should be done in increments and the results checked out each time. I've found my VFR to be responsive to my changes and the changes making it possible for me to feel comfortable at stops even with my inseam challenges. (5'8", 29 inch inseam.)

Archived