Clutch switch - What does this do?

Guest Gunzer06

Guest Gunzer06

Can anyone tell the function of this switch? Its activated by the clutch lever at about mid pull. My bike is an '06.

Thanks,

Gunzer

• Member Contributer

The '02 models don't have this? I'm pretty sure I have to be in neutral to start it.

do you have OEM levers? Some of the after-market levers don't seem to engage the switch correctly

• Member Contributer

Can anyone tell the function of this switch? Its activated by the clutch lever at about mid pull. My bike is an '06.

Thanks,

Gunzer

There's also switch at the kick stand on later models that kills the motor if you put the bike in gear with the kick stand down.

Cheers

On a 6th Gen(at least the early ones)the clutch switch also tells the ecu the clutch is pulled in and has some impact on fueling. Sometime at a light, let the clutch out slightly and watch the rpms come up a bit. Pull it back in fully and the rpms drop. Another interesting clutch switch phenomon, rolling at speed, pull the clutch in but just short of engaging the switch, and rev the engine. The engine will shut off like a light switch - at least on my 02 and 03. Evidently if the rpms go up but the speed doesn't increase(clutch out and in gear)the ecu assumes there is a problem and shuts down. The interactions between the systems on these bikes are facinating - I just wish there was a functional description of all the ecus actions.

• 2 years later...

Will a bad clutch switch this cause the bike to die as well? I was getting lots of flapper opening and closing noise and after I would shift into first the bike would kill. I unplugged the switch and the flapper noise is gone but I haven;t gotten it to die yet. But I'm not sure if that is related or not. It would just kill. Don't want it to happen when I am out riding if I disengage the clutch switch.

Also not sure how it would hurt performance if I did that too since it does interact with the flapper...

Archived