Do powerlet sockets rust?

Guest OhJay

Guest OhJay

I'm planning on fitting a powerlet socket/RAM mount set to my 5th gen to mount my iphone as a satnav.

The RAM mount will bolt to the front of the tank no problem so it leaves me picking between a socket up the middle of the centre stem or something in the front panel. However, I'm slightly concerned that a cigarette lighter-esque socket facing upwards like that will collect water/moisture and rust through.

Looks like it might be OK with the cap on but what is it like with the plug in? Does it still protect the socket from collecting water or is it going to let some in?

Anyone with more experience with them able to shed some light please?

Cheers

Any clue what the company that makes them is called? Would love to know. I would use for various functions, heated vest, cell phone charge etc. New to the VFR scene so thanks for any information.

• Member Contributer

I have the aforementioned hinged Powerlet steering stem socket and no corrosion issues...

• Member Contributer

If you're into serious waterproofing, I once bought a "powerlet"-type socket from Conrad.de in Germany--IP68 or something with the screw-on cap fitted.

Ciao,

Archived