Competition Werkes fender eliminator

Hey all! I bought the Competition Werkes fender eliminator for my 2010 VFR. I know, I know, "Well, ya coulda' done that for almost free if ya had just................." Got it. I like mods I can easily undo if I want and, I suck at wrenching. This came with directions and stuff. First off, it arrives in stainless steel. I thought that would look goofy on the bike, so I painted it black (Rustoleum primer/painter in one). Otherwise, it goes on easy enough. It does leave a small gap between the license light and the housing (you remove the license light extender). Overall, I like it. Could be cheaper, but, it's also a plug and play type item with little extra demanded of me. I would post a pic, but, I suck at that too. Go to Comp. Werkes website and have a look at their pic. Worthwhile mod if you're too stoopid and lazy to make a do-it-yourselfer.

Ride safe.

Oh, I just went out and looked at it again and gave it a good tug. It's on there really solid as well. More solid than the factory set up. Overall, it's a good piece of kit. Nice set up.

Ride safe.

Oh, yeah. That was rude of me.

- Go to Google.

- Type Competition Werkes.

- Specialized Products.

- Honda.

- VFR1200.

- Fender Minimizer kit.

That's how I found it. Should still work. Good luck.

Ride safe.

Rode to work and back today. It was planted and sturdy. The only thing I can say bad about it is, it shows up in raw stainless steel. That won't look right. A coupla' bucks in Rustoleum and it was perfect. Works good. Last's long time.

Ride safe.

• Member Contributer

Alrighty, here's the million dollar question.

Do you think with that fender eliminator that this rack would still work? http://www.twistedth...ctview/5493/77/

Looks like the back mount of the kit bolts up to the tail where those bolts are for the new tail kit...

Looks to me like it wouldn't be a problem, but since you've had it in your hands, maybe you'd see something I don't.

Yokel I think it will work. In the CW picture it looks like there's little reflectors in the holes where the hardware bolts on for the Motech racks. If it works let me know, 'cause I'm gonna get one too.

After looking at the pictures, I think it would work OK. You may have to get different bolts for attach points on the side of the fender. Otherwise, I think it may work just fine. Let me know. Ride safe.

Mark

• Member Contributer

Supposed to be delivered Friday! Now if I can just decide for sure on freaking bags... guuuuh.

Oh, here's a better picture of the mounting system for the motech mounts... looks like it uses that common bolt after all. Sweet!

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/imagecatalogue/imageview/17555/?RefererURL=/trade/productview/5493/77/

It's not huge. It just cleans it up a bit. You can do nearly the same thing for free and several folks on the board have. I just don't like getting to close anything I like with a cutting tool. Plus, I like being able to put it back if I wish. For me, the change was worth it. I like the cleaner look of the back. It's just personal taste. For me, the relatively low price was worth it. Hope that helps. Ride safe.

Mark

Side note: If you decide to paint it, you need a primer. My understanding is raw aluminum does not paint well without a primer. I was advised that a primer/paint blend that are offered by Rustoleum, Krylon and others offer will do the trick in one step. Mine turned out well (so far).

• Member Contributer

Well, someone wanted before/after.

Mine's not painted...kinda like the raw look personally. Might be my inner metal worker coming out.

gallery_23869_6426_356080.jpg

gallery_23869_6426_245788.jpg

As you can see... (before on bottom of course) it gets rid of the floppy plastic bit and takes out a section of the license plate light to shorten it up.

Thanks Interceptorrider for the heads-up... not a bad change IMO. Think it will work with whatever bags I choose too. Double cool.

Still waiting on the bag mounts... still trying to pick the set I want.

If you look REALLY closely, you can see the plate light housing doesn't quite sit all the way down against the plastic, as Interceptor mentioned in the first post.. It's still sealed just fine, but that's the only imperfection.

• Member Contributer

Uh, yeah, cool. Did you put it on? I can't stop staring at that Damn DAM. Nice.

Yeah, I did the install. You're right, piece of cake. :fing02:

FWIW, I used the reflector bolts supplied in the kit. The supplied wing nuts seem to vibrate loose a bit with riding. So, I put some Loctite on the thread to help it out. If I don't like it, I'll get a couple of better nuts for it.

Ride safe.

(I just looked again and I still can't see it. Unable to pry my eyes off that pipe. I'll have to take your word for it.)

• Member Contributer

Yeah, it's on there solid. I was wondering about the wing-nuts on the plate. Put the lock nuts the bottom and some lock washers on the wing nuts. Guess we'll see how it goes.

Had to slap the stickers on there too... makes the bike faster you know... stickers add 10hp.

OK, I was able to look away from your DAM(n) pipe long enough to study your install. I took it that the reflector bolts were to be used for the side attach points of the fender eliminator, thus retaining a reflector for the rear of the bike (as required by many states). You put yours on the plate. Either way works. It mounts really solid with the two side points and the two bolts through the light attachment. This is just such a nice, easy, inexpensive(ish) mod.

Ride safe.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, likely that's where they are supposed to go, there on the side. I didn't like the spring retention thing they used on the reflectors and made the executive decision to use the lock washers there instead.

It is a good mod, that's for sure. I just wonder if I can knock together a better fitting version at work. If I can find time among my many other projects, I just might give it a whirl. Seemed like a pretty simple piece to make, I've got all the presses and brakes at the shop. If I can coerce my boss to buy an english wheel I might just make a whole new stinking tail. :comp13:

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case there are any other weirdos out there who want to buy this but also want to use the SW Motech racks, I can confirm it works fine. However, the "cleaning up" is substantially undermined by the quick-release mount. Because of that, not really worth the $ for me. However, with stock bags or no bags at all I think it's a great mod for the price. Also, don't use the LED that CW includes. Way easier to pop the stock light out of its rubber mount and reuse it.

2012-07-17145157.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Thanks for all your comments on the Comp. Werkes fender minimizer. The overly extended stock fender was the first thing I saw on the bike that I didn't like. I've ordered the kit.

Archived