Clutch slipping

Guest Civilizeddog

Guest Civilizeddog

I recently noticed a slight to moderate odor of fuel in my 93's oil. At the same time my clutch has started to slip in 6th at about 1100 rpm.

I am most certainly changing my oil today but wanted to get the opinion of some experienced riders here on this issue.

Can this, should this fuel/oil mix cause the wet clutch to slip at high RPMs, any RPMs?

• Member Contributer

It might. I've never felt any of my clutches slip, but I can tell slight differences when I run different oils.

Do you have a fuelling issue or a stuck carb float? How did fuel get in the oil?

I had a stuck float in one of the carbs so I removed the carbs and took everything apart, cleaned, and reassembled. That solved the fuel leak issue.

Just changed my oil a moment ago and must say there was a significant amount of fuel in there, the oil absolutely stunk of it and I could see the fuel floating on the surface.

I changed the guage cluster earlier and swapped in a Koso Rx2 and the new RPM display reads up to 15000, the original cluster only reads up to 13000 and 11500 is redline.

Not sure how the new RPM display relates to the bikes actual rpm output but in 6th I'm usually up to about 75mph, by 90mph I'm at or a little over 11000rpm and then the clutch let's go and the needle rpm needle maxes out.

Maybe the friction plates are getting weak, not sure, don't want to dig in there if I don't have to you know what I mean?

• Member Contributer

If you had that much fuel in the crankcase, I would take the bike out for a 100 mile ride and change it again just to be sure nothing was left behind. If you really want to get fussy about it, look up how to use seafoam in the crank case. I did it for a bike that sat for a while and after 50 miles the brand new oil was bitch black.

I always change my oil twice as early as I should, usually at 1500 miles.

But I'm definitely changing after 50-100 for this go around because of the fuel wash.

Still stumped on the clutch issue, I guess I'll just have to put her through the ringer a few times and see if the fresh, untainted oil helps.

• Member Contributer

There is a thread or two on taking the clutch apart and cleaning the glaze off the clutch plates somewhere buried in the site.

I dont think Ive owned a bike, there was no fuel smell in the oil. Its the degree, if it about knocks you out from the smell , then thats alot of fuel. But no alittle fuel or alot wont cause clutch slippage .

Archived