VTEC suspension upgrade / overhaul.

npat

A word of caution with rebound adjustments, especially on the rear! Too much rebound can/will cause many negative effects on all aspects of handling from rear packing, poor turn-in, poor braking, etc.,etc. I found that being on the too little rebound side much more desirable than the too much side.

Yes I'm fully aware of this. I'm trying, for the moment, to figure out if there's something wrong with my shock. At six clicks it fees quite good (on the stiff side of good, but not that much).

Edit: It seems that the correct setting (for my taste is somwhere between 6 and 8, I'll have to ride some more to figure out which feels better).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A word of caution with rebound adjustments, especially on the rear! Too much rebound can/will cause ... poor braking...

Can you elaborate a bit on this? What symptoms do you observe in braking with too much rebound damping?

What rebound setting is ohlins recommending for you, cause rebound doesnt vary alot from recommend by about 1 0r 2 clicks max.

Your better off with rebound slightly quick, till you get the compression right, then slowly slow the rebound, if there's an issue with Pogoing or kicking up on the rear. But it should be very CLEAR to you when a rebound adjustment is needed. Thats why I suggest using the recommended setting and work on the compression and rider height first, then the rebound will become clearer, if an adjustment is needed.

Too slow rebound will effect both compression and plushness, too slow rebound can create fishtailing under hard acceleration in the wet

Cool!

Will be looking for more feedback write-ups.

BR

Not much more to report. It seems (as I wrote before) that according to my tastes, and the way I ride, that rebound damping should be between 8 and 6 clicks from max depending on how much I like to push (maybe 9 for a very relaxed pace, and maybe six is a bit on the too-stiff side). Compression damping feels good somewhere between 14 and 16 clicks (from max, again depending on the pace). I've also noticed that damping is affected (noticeably) by temperature: When I start the bike cold with rebound at 8 it feels stiff, but when it warms up good (these days we have temperatures arround 35C at noon here), the same setting feels a little on the soft side. I think ohlins shocks have temperature compensation mechanisms on their adjusters, but, I guess, things cannot be that ideal in practice.

Well, tommorow morning (I have a day-off from work) I leave for a small 3-days motorcycle trip together with a couple of friends. We 'll ride something like 1500 miles, most of them on twisty secondary roads... After that I believe I'll have a very clear picture regarding where I stand in terms of suspension (for the momment, the first hints seem very satisfactory).

:beer:

A word of caution with rebound adjustments, especially on the rear! Too much rebound can/will cause ... poor braking...

Can you elaborate a bit on this? What symptoms do you observe in braking with too much rebound damping?

Too much rear rebound Slows weight transfur to the front which causes all types of ill effects!

For Braking the slowed weight transfur slows how quick and how much bite on the front tire would have vs what would be normal. Less front weight = less bit or stopping power and more likely to lock/skid the front.

This slower weight transfur prevent the forks from compressing as fast making turn-in slower.

Too much rear rebound also effects Rear traction causing "Packing" of the rear, which prevents the rear from maintaining contact with the street over bumps.

blah, blah, blah kind of things. :rolleyes: Too little rebound also has adverse effects.

BR

btw hows the front feeling after some time has pass and blocking off the second set of bleed holes?

btw hows the front feeling after some time has pass and blocking off the second set of bleed holes?

The front feels GREAT! It's clearly obvious that THIS is how they intented it to be. For my prefferences I wouldn't touch the rebound damping. I could use either a little more compression or a bit more oil (currently @ 110mm). For anything but a very agressive pace with A LOT of brakes before corner entry, it's fine as it is. With both sets of bleed holes open, it was OBVIOUS that... "something is wrong here, which cannot be simply a matter of preference".

Would I like to have external compression / rebound damping adjustment capabilities? Sure! Will I toy with a stiffer compression shim-stack when the time comes to change the oil? Maybe I will, maybe I won't. But all these are mostly matters of personal preference (I would like it a bit stiffer). Staying with RaceTech's suggestions (correctly implemented) will give you a VERY decent and capable front for road use. Not very stiff, but not very wallowy, either (and certainly *not* bouncy).

Archived