Brake rotor warpage

Dae

I thought I had plenty of brake pad material left, because every time I inspect them I can only see the outer ones. To my surprise the inner pads on the right side were completely worn down to the metal. While riding, didn’t noticed any screeching sounds of any sort so I assumed by just checking the outer pads I was fine. After installing the new pads, I squeezed the brake lever over a 100 times and still the lever would come all the way to the handle bar. I next bled the brake lines and still the lever would reach the handle bars. I’m thinking by now I must have damaged the caliper, when pushing them back to install new pads.

I took the bike with only the use of rear brakes to the nearest motorcycle repair facility, nearest Honda dealer being 40 minutes away in heavy city traffic. The bike shop discovered the warped rotors. It’s hard to tell by the photo, but the outer part where the smaller pads grip the rotors are bent inwards.

Is there a way to check the condition of the pads without taking out the front tire?

I’m now $480 lighter in my wallet and 10 days without being able to ride because the rotor will have to be imported from Japan.

post-20375-0-46474400-1337849241.jpg

post-20375-0-50438000-1337849252.jpg

post-20375-0-39713200-1337849262.jpg

• Member Contributer

I would have tried to see if I could straighten the rotors first. Never know until you try.

Only way to check the brake pads is to take the caliper off and take a good look.

Archived