Damsel in Electrical Distress!

ColoMotoChick

• Member Contributer

My mistake - yes, that's the R/R connector. I'll have to dig in to pics for one of the one you're referencing.

• Member Contributer
Good news...my stator is fried!! Just popped the cover and took a peak.

That is no evidence of a fried stator. I've got one that's black (previous owner blew up their engine) but it cranks out the juice.

However since you have a new stator now, your issue could be your regulator. You seriously need a voltmeter as it will warn you when the system is about to fail.

Cheak all grounds first. tighten and clean them up as needed. If the battery is brand new, it unlikely that it's the problem, but I'll check that next in case you have defective cells in it that knocked themselves out of action fromn vibration and/or heat. Third, I'd go over the whole charging wiring harnes and connectors to see if anything is loose or melting. Then if that does not reveal anything, re-test your stator. who knows, it might be defective from the factory and you have a break prematurely develop in the windings.

Beck

95 VFR

Beck, which grounds are you refering to?

• Member Contributer

Cheak all grounds first. tighten and clean them up as needed. If the battery is brand new, it unlikely that it's the problem, but I'll check that next in case you have defective cells in it that knocked themselves out of action fromn vibration and/or heat. Third, I'd go over the whole charging wiring harnes and connectors to see if anything is loose or melting. Then if that does not reveal anything, re-test your stator. who knows, it might be defective from the factory and you have a break prematurely develop in the windings.

Beck

95 VFR

Beck, which grounds are you refering to?

In Beck's absence may I suggest: anywhere that grounds connect to the frame, battery or together. Don't just look at 'em check for continuity with a known good meter. Make sure they are tight as well. Heat cycles, and vibration can do nasty things to seemingly good cold static connections. On the issue of connectors on the positive side don't trust those to sight either. It's a good idea to crimp the female ends of the actual metal connectors a bit to make sure they are making good contact, and tie them down so they can't become loose due to the previously mentioned heat cycles, and vibration. I've seen people replace expensive components only to find that the wiring was the real culprit. Wires can look fine from the outside yet be completely corroded under the insulation. Check 'em for resistance.

Archived