Installing staintunes on 2003 vtec

richieg

I've removed my stock exhaust and have a question regarding fitting the staintunes. is it necessary to remove the old silver coloured gasket? it looks as though the staintunes will not fit unless it is removed but i'm concerened about the exhaust leaking. The instructions on line also suggest using high temperature sealant on the mufflers - is this necessary as the second hand pipes i'm fitting don't look as though any sealant was previously used...

I had not noticed a gasket at the mid-pipe / cat connection when I replaced the cracked mid with the new hanger design one.

The bolted strap keeps it plenty tight.

I did however use the high heat copper silicone sealer on both cans to Y pipe connection to get rid of a noticable rattle. Worked like a charm!

• Member Contributer

I had not noticed a gasket at the mid-pipe / cat connection when I replaced the cracked mid with the new hanger design one.

The bolted strap keeps it plenty tight.

I did however use the high heat copper silicone sealer on both cans to Y pipe connection to get rid of a noticable rattle. Worked like a charm!

Pretty much the same here... just used a little sealant at the Y pipe connections and that was it.

Same as above. Clamp the pipe, as is to the header/Cat. Use High temp copper(I used Permatex) sealant at the "Y" pipe muffler joints, Tighten bolts, let sealant cure per the instructions and ride.

The staintunes is fitted - I used some loctite 5920 to seal the mufflers on the y pipe.

Thanks for all responses.

When assembling though I could not get the replacement passenger bolt through the exhaust bracket with mufflers attached so gave up in the end and used stock bolt. I think I read somewhere that this is no longer done on newer exhausts...

Finally I can't remove one of the db killers - seems to be held in very securely.. any tips?

Archived