Rattle/knock in engine. Possible starter clutch problem?

I have done 300 miles since checking the starter clutch and the rattle/knock has not returned. I will be sticking with Castrol 10/40 and staying away from synthetics.

I took the starter clutch body apart and examined it. No cracks in the body and other parts seem in working order. I put everything back and started the bike. It runs fine. It seems as if all my work was for nothing, but at least I know there is nothing wrong with the starter clutch. :cheerleader:

I have gone back to Castrol 10-40. I am of the mind that the starter idler gear was the culprit due to the Amsoil synthetic being a very slippery oil, and the starter idler was rattling on idle. Either that or it is the common problem with the 94-97 VFR750, that the cams have a certain amount of end float when the oil is hot, and that causes the rattle.

Whatever it is I am just going to ignore the rattle, should it occur again, and just ride the bike. :biggrin:

IIRC, the camshaft end float caused noise that happened on some (not all had it) 4th gens were more of a ticking noise.......

• Member Contributer

I have read this thread throughout and I also came to the conclusion that it's the little idler gear just forward of the Starter Clutch.

I noticed the little knocking noise from the clutch cover before and after a carb-synch and starter clutch replacement.

While doing the Starter Clutch replacement I noticed the play on the gear, and the fact that it spins in the little dowl in the clutch cover makes sense.

I do use Full Synthetic Oil, but I have done several Oil Analysis's and they all come up very good so I'm sticking with it. As long as the knock isn't hurting anything I'm gonna ignore it.

Archived