929 rear shock settings

kblackburn

No one will have the same settings even if you run the same spring rates. 8-12mm Free Sag/25-35mm rider sag depending on how you ride.

Go full soft on both and set Sag, then start w/rebound. Bounce up and down watching how quick it snaps back up, add 1 turn and retest. Do 1/2 turns and repeat. Once you notice it starting to slow down the snap back up make smaller changes, ball park is 1-2 sec to fully rebound.

Too much rebound and the rear start to Pack Down over bumps, too little and it Pogo's.

I would do the same on comp. and when it starts to slow comp add 1/2 turn and test ride.

Rebound seems to effect handling more than Comp. so test ride and adjust to taste/feel. Only make one change at a time on test rides(ie;do rebound only) until you like the feel, then do comp.

The spring is what supports the bike and is the platform of all good suspension, the damping controls the spring.

BR

Keep in mind that compressing the spring adjustment for sag is not going to make the bike ride harsher.

If I'm wrong there will be a multitude of responces coming soon.

• Member Contributer

Keep in mind that compressing the spring adjustment for sag is not going to make the bike ride harsher.

If I'm wrong there will be a multitude of responces coming soon.

How correct you are! It's nice to know that somebody gets it right!

Just picked up a 2000 929 stock shock (white spring), do i need to have this re-sprung or can it go right on my 3rd Gen ??

It's got a spring rate of 15.3kg which if I'm not mistaken is the stiffert VFR spring rate which is probably still soft for you depending on your weight, but shouldn't be any softer that what's already on it. :ph34r:

Archived