Help with Givi install on '95

Guest kayaktom

Guest kayaktom

Hi all,

I just picked up a great '95 and it came with a Givi Wingrack 2 and top case mount, with two bags. However, I'm having trouble with the left side mount -- it doesn't seem to line up with the left passenger footpeg (photos below). It appears if I use a longer bolt and spacer at an angle, it may attach, but it's less than optimal. The photos show the entire rack (mounted at the top, but not the peg area), and close ups from in front and back of the peg. If I push the mount against the hole above the peg, it doesn't line up.

Unfortunately the PO bought it with the bags removed and doesn't know how they attach, but did verify they were originally on this bike.

Any suggestions? Is there something obvious I'm missing, or is this just flat out the wrong rack that a PO cobbled together? All help is appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

post-24668-0-29143300-1333927104.jpg

post-24668-0-13776600-1333927164.jpg

post-24668-0-45244600-1333927168.jpg

It may be apples and oranges, but the wingrack on my 5th gen has the mount on a different axis. The hole is turned 90 degrees and mounts on a longer peg bolt.

• Member Contributer

I have pics of my Givi installation somewhere but that lower mount needs to be rotated 90 degrees so that it attaches to the bottom of the rear foot peg. You remove the OEM pin and replace with a longer bolt. In fact, I had to replace it with a longer bolt than supplied even. There were reports of that bolt snapping so I bought extras. But never had a problem with it during my long trip. I don't have the Wingrack mounted right now but it's a 10 minute operation.

But the Wingrack in your pics look too low. It should be higher because it attaches to the passenger handle mounts (they need to be removed).

I'll post up some pics shortly, along with the Givi installation instructions.

Thanks in advance for posting photos -- i suspect I have a different mount setup. There's no physical way to rotate that lower bar mount and still have it attach to the wingrack plate -- the bolt holes then woudn't line up on the plate itself. Also, there is no hardware with this setup to mount anywhere to the grab handle attacment under the seat. I can post more photos if needed -- just hoping someone has a similar setup. The right side will attach just fine, and there's a horizontal bar that goes under the tail light to join the left and right, in addition to the top rack.

• Member Contributer

Okay, here are the pics from my installation. I can't find the Givi installation instructions but I think the pictures are easy enough to follow along.

The first two pictures show all the parts that were included in the box. You have the generic Wingrack2 part and the Y-154 mount kit which is specific to the 4th gen VFR.

Wingrack2 top & side racks:

107-0778_IMG.JPG

Wingrack mounts (pictured at top, and are part of the Wingrack) and Y-154 mount kit:

107-0779_IMG.JPG

Wingrack2 mounts w/ passenger handles removed:

107-0782_IMG.JPG

Wingrack attached:

107-0783_IMG.JPG

Wingrack w/ lower mounts attached. Note, lower mount is attached to underside of passenger peg. You need to remove the OEM pin and replace with a longer bolt. I had to buy a longer bolt because the supplied bolt was too short to get enough bite on it with the nut.

107-0786_IMG.JPG

I don't have a picture with the top rack attached during the install because my batteries died, but here's one from a later date:

107-0790_IMG.JPG

Hope that helps you out. Good luck with your install.

Thanks again for the pics. Looking at these it's clear I don't have the same mounting kit -- in fact, my rear left peg assembly looks different, too. Perhaps it's either someting a PO adapted. Anyone have something similar to my pics?

• Member Contributer

Your rear left peg looks okay but you definitely don't have all the right nor necessary pieces to install. I can't believe that the PO actually ran with this setup.

FYI, that bar underneath the tailsection was an optional stabilizer bar. Without it the Wingrack could flex putting stress on the lower mounts and in particular, the mounting bolt. I didn't have it nor any issues with the bolt.

Unfortunately I don't think the Y-154 VFR mount kit is available anymore.

• Member Contributer

Tom,

When I bought my 94, it was used & already had a Wingrack installed, so I don't have the original "out-of-the-box" pix that Auggius had. (Great pix, though!)

However, mine does not mount in the same way that his mounts. Mine does not mount to the upper passenger brackets at all - mine mount under the tail bodywork.

I just went out & snapped some pix in my garage - mine show the same bar that yours shows (under the rear bodywork).

I just posted those pix to my gallery, here http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/album/6396-givi-mounts/

That may help.

Hm.

Perhaps I need to get a better pic of how that bar attaches to the wingrack.

More pix coming soon...

Ron

• Member Contributer

Well there you go, there is another way to mount the Wingrack to the 4th gen VFR!

Ron, does your setup require removal of the tailsection bodywork to install? I have a vague recollection that such a kit existed. With mine, it's a simple 10 minute exercise to remove the Wingrack as a unit.

Thanks Ron. I couldn't enlarge the pics, but I think we're on the right track. The challenge with the bar under the left side, is it only fits one of the holes. The other runs into an issue with how the helmet hook/seat release sits against the attachment point.

this pic seems to show a similar mounting near the rear peg, too. https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3LrRXPyauQM/SOPP13PzhoI/AAAAAAAAAnU/nrQsjjJm5-w/s767/StandAngle.JPG

• Member Contributer

Thanks Ron. I couldn't enlarge the pics, but I think we're on the right track. The challenge with the bar under the left side, is it only fits one of the holes. The other runs into an issue with how the helmet hook/seat release sits against the attachment point.

this pic seems to show a similar mounting near the rear peg, too. https://lh6.googleus.../StandAngle.JPG

Tom,

I don't know what's wrong with my gallery pix, but you're right - I cannot view them, either.

And that's too bad, because I just dug up the original Givi mounting installing instructions - with a diagram! - and I posted that to my gallery too.

Send me a PM with your email address, and I'll email my Givi mounting instructions to you. (IF they work for you, great! If not, well, they didn't cost you anything...)

Ron

• Member Contributer

Ron, does your setup require removal of the tailsection bodywork to install? I have a vague recollection that such a kit existed. With mine, it's a simple 10 minute exercise to remove the Wingrack as a unit.

Auggius,

Good question (about removing the whole thing in one go). I don't know; I bought the bike 9 years ago with the Wingrack already installed, and I've not removed the wingrack even once.

Based on the Givi instructions I found, it looks as though it could mostly be removed in one go - aside from the small brackets bolted directly to the subrame & hanging down below the bodywork.

But, again, I don't know.

I do know that it does not mount the same way that yours - I don't use the passenger handle brackets, so I can still run the rear seat cowl over the passenger seat (without the same relief/cutaways that Timmy has on his seat cowl).

Ron

• Member Contributer

Interesting (and confusing) that Givi made two different fitment kits for the 4th gen but gave them the same part number. Anyway, I've uploaded the instructions for mounting my version of the Givi Wingrack to the downloads section. Here is the link: http://www.vfrdiscus...uctions-97-vfr/

Ron -- the photos can open fine now, and they helped me figure it out. I should be able to get it all sorted out this evening. Thanks again everyone! Looking forward to putting lots of miles on the bike.

Archived