Going back to paper from K&N. Need airbox gaskets?

skymon

Question

• Member Contributer

My 5th gen came to me with a K&N air filter. After some research I decided to go back to OEM. I noticed in HS's K&N install thread that he removed the airbox seal gaskets to put the K&N in. I guess I should look to see if I have any in there. Any recommendations?

10 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Yep mine have been removed.

I see them in the parts diagram on Babbits but they don't have a separate part number. Don't think I'll buy a new air box just for the gaskets. Anybody know where to get them?

Chuckster- Looks to me like the performance gains are minimal if anything and the filtering is inferior. K&N is less expensive in the long run (and especially since I already have it) but I'm more interested in getting a lot of years out of the bike. (I really love this one.)

You can get bulk o-ring material in different diameters and make your own.

Once you have the length dialed in and cut, glue the ends together with krazy glue, and when it's done setting, install the o-ring material in the groove of the airbox. Lather, rinse, repeat for the lid.

• Member Contributer

Good idea Veefer800. Auto parts store? I gather the original one is rectangular in cross section. I suppose round is okay as long as that gives the right finished "height".

Hmmm. Maybe the K&N has some more redeming qualities after all...

I would say try an industrial supply house, maybe like acklands- grainger, or an oilfield supply store, etc before pep boys et al.

Maybe even an ag dealer, tractor supply, that sort of thing?

Heavy truck repair/diesel shop?

Bring the airbox lid with you to determine the proper diameter.

I'd just clean, lightly oil per instructions & and reinstall the K&N air filter you already have if I were you.

Note that I'm also familiar with the air filter comparison results posted at bobistheoilguy.com and agree that the K&N may not filter quite as well as the o.e. paper element. On the other hand the test results also showed that the K&N flowed more air, so as the saying goes you can't always "have your cake and eat it too".

Due to evidence of (slightly) subpar air filtration performance along with reports of dirty mass airflow sensors caused by the filter oil used in the K&N media I have decided not to install K&N air filters in my 4-wheeled daily drivers which I generally intend to drive for many years & 200k+ miles. However, I installed a K&N at the first recommended air filter replacement interval (12k miles) for my 1995 ST1100 17 years ago and have been using same filter in my ST ever since. Now with over 91k miles on the clock my ST's engine still consumes no motor oil between changes and runs flawlessly. So obviously so far the engine shows no evidence of engine wear or related issues caused by inadequate air filtration.

So since you already have a K&N I would not recommend spending the time and $$ needed to convert your motorcycle's airbox back for use with the original equipment paper element air filter...unless you tend to operate your motorcycle in dusty conditions regularly.

I'll also mention that I recently purchased a K&N for my fifth-generation ('98) from Amazon which I will be installing before my viffer's odometer registers 12k miles. The cost was only a few $$ more than my Honda dealership quoted me for a o.e. replacement filter which per the mfg recommendations s/b discarded and replaced every 12k miles.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I kinda think you're right. I'm a fair weather rider. If I remember to keep it clean, the K&N is probably just fine.

• Member Contributer

I bet if you posted in bargain finder that you have a free k&n in exchange for a stock filter and seals, you'd have a deal shortly.

Archived