Dangerously worn front brake caliper (yes, caliper)

kaldek

Well, my bike dropped a brake pad yesterday and it looks like I've got the same issue. I ordered a new bracket (06453-MBG-405) and will replace it with the new retainer and that should get me another 10 years at least. What an annoying issue.

How many miles on your bike mate?

Tbf, if it happens every ten years and 90,000 miles like it has with the OP, its not the end of the world as long as you catch it in time is it (:

It is the end of the world if your pads fall out in a critical braking point however. Doesnt even bare thinking about :/.

• Member Contributer

That wear is caused by two things, one the slider clip was NOT maintained & was probably a loose fit when made. These things are supposed to be removed & cleaned EVERY year, the slider clip, can be inspected & replaced if worn, or cleaned & tightened by bending the end grips.

What happens in the real world, is people don't clean these unless they have to change pads. The pad backing is steel, which is why these slider clips are there, to stop the steel pad wearing the alloy holder. People NEVER check the new pads fit & file off any sharp or raised areas, especially garages as they don't have time. Thus as the brakes are applied & released then clip gets a little left right motion if they have NOT been maintained. They also get a little on off motion as the pads move in the caliper, if the clip is loose then it will move & wear the bracket as in this case.

Personally, I don't know why manufacturers bother with sliding systems, they are not much cheaper but have way to many moving parts and perform less well than opposed piston units. Looking at Lings Honda Spares, a CBR929 right front caliper complete which is 4 pot Nissin is £565 -pads, the VFR800 right front complete inc the slider bracket etc is £816 -pads so kind of proves the point ! The CBS made them choose 3pot calipers, not good braking :(

• Member Contributer

Well, my bike dropped a brake pad yesterday and it looks like I've got the same issue. I ordered a new bracket (06453-MBG-405) and will replace it with the new retainer and that should get me another 10 years at least. What an annoying issue.

Tbf, if it happens every ten years and 90,000 miles like it has with the OP, its not the end of the world as long as you catch it in time is it (:

It is the end of the world if your pads fall out in a critical braking point however. Doesnt even bare thinking about :/.

75,000 km. I am the third owner, the first had it over 10 years and has had a pad drop out once before. The dealership failed to notice the issue mentioned here (as I did before I read this thread) and just replaced the retainer clip and sent him on his way

75,000 km. I am the third owner, the first had it over 10 years and has had a pad drop out once before. The dealership failed to notice the issue mentioned here (as I did before I read this thread) and just replaced the retainer clip and sent him on his way

I can believe that about a dealer tbh.

I've bought an immaculate bike with 5,000 miles on it before. Dealer put new pads in when i bought it under my request.

I went through a set of pads in 1500 miles. Under investigation the brake was partially siezed on. Never noticed myself (i was quite new to biking at the time).

When i asked the dealer about it they told me to stop riding like Rossi.

Quite funny considering the bike was restricted to 33bhp.

But anyway haha

Archived