Measuring fork height with GenMar risers

skymon

• Member Contributer

I put some tapered roller bearings in my 5th gen and am now experimenting with the best fork height. I've read here that a little compensation is in order when switching to all balls. I've raised the forks relative to the top bridge (dropped the front) by 3mm. Since I have GenMar risers I need to measure fork position from the top of the fork cap instead of the top of the fork tube. Measured this way I have 46mm from the top bridge to top of fork cap.

How does my measurement compare with the (debatable) stock measurement of 41mm to the top of the fork tube? (Most forum contributors here measure to the top of the fork tube apparently.) In other words, how tall is the fork cap?

By the way, I increased the rear ride height about 10mm with 929 shock intall.

I've installed a new front tire, changed to tapered roller bearings and lowered the front all at the same time so its hard to know which change is affecting handling the most. Just trying to compare my findings with other reports here.

HI,

Stock fork height on a 5th gen is 39mm, the 6th gen is 41mm.

When you say you increased rear by 10mm what exactly are you refering to? Is the shock assm 10mm longer that the stock shock or is the rear sitting 10mm higher then stock. Big difference!!!

Adding 10mm to shock length with add around 35mm to the rear ride height because of the rocker ratio.

BTW I just measure to the top of the cap for ease, you can subtract a few mm to be exact.

If the shock is 10mm longer I would return to fork setting to stock or 41 at the cap and ride.

BR

• Member Contributer

Thanks BR. I mean I added 3mm shim to the shock upper mount, thus gaining about 10mm ride height.

That 39mm or 41mm number--that's to the top of the fork tube correct? How does that compare to 46mm to the top of the fork cap? That's my real question.

Well the fork cap is 2mm thick, so to be exact subtract 2mm from your 46 to get 44mm actual.

But I doubt many if any of us could feel a 2mm difference! Maybe Rossi or SEB. :rolleyes:

I always just use the top of the cap for simplicity.

BR

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm lost.

How do the Genmar risers affect fork height?

Just remove the handlebar and measure the height.

Lifting off the riser would make it slightly easier, but isn't necessary.

I don't think it is practical to even try to measure fork height with both the riser and the handlebar in place.

The top of the fork cap will be down in the handlebar making a measurement difficult.

Archived