iPhone or GPS holder for my VFR1200

Splitlane

• Member Contributer

I got my iPhone holder for VFR1200 and installed. It works just fine and very sturdy. I went 90 mph the holder really holding strong! I got this kit from http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/MotorcycleMounts/tabid/128/Default.aspx#/wizard or 206-763-8361.

This kit cost about $70 USD.

Here are the parts you have to ordered:

1. RAM Motorcycle Fork Stem Base with 1" Ball

Product Number: RAM-B-342U Price: $16.38

2. UNPKD RAM MOUNT W/ 1 RAM-B-238U & B-201U

Product Number:RAM-B-103-238U Retail: $18.84

3. RAM Universal Spring Loaded Cell Phone Cradle Holder

Product Number: RAM-HOL-PD3U Price: $15.04

86AB0B0B-orig.jpg?t=1313861740

34FC3FD1-orig.jpg?t=1313859939

• 7 months later...

Thread resurrection :)

I recently ordered a new VFR1200F (yet to be delivered!), and I'm looking for a similar solution to put my cell phone on it as a GPS, so I came across this topic and made me an account.

Now I also got to ram-mount.com, which seems like the best solution I've come across so far.

If you're still here, I have a couple of questions for you:

1. How are you finding the ram-mount after a couple of months of use? Any remarks on it?
  2. The arm looks quite long in the picture, I'd like to have mine a bit more "nested" between the handlebars. They also do a 2" short arm (RAM-B-201U-A), instead of the standard 3" one you've got. What would you think of that?

The setup I'd chose would be identical to yours, but I'd order myself the protective case as I travel in the rain from time to time (RAM-HOL-AQ2U).

In the "worst" case I'll order it with both the short and the long arm, which would give a total of about $85, a lot less than other solutions I have found.

Thanks again for the information so far, and thanks in advance for replying!

Regards,

ZP

In the "worst" case I'll order it with both the short and the long arm, which would give a total of about $85, a lot less than other solutions I have found.

If one the Waypoint stores is not to far from where you live you can ride over there and see what fits best, as I am pretty sure they stock most RAM mounts.

If one the Waypoint stores is not to far from where you live you can ride over there and see what fits best, as I am pretty sure they stock most RAM mounts.

The nearest of them is 90km, so not next to me :). I'll drop them an e-mail for a quote though, thanks for the link!

• Member Contributer

Thread resurrection :)

I recently ordered a new VFR1200F (yet to be delivered!), and I'm looking for a similar solution to put my cell phone on it as a GPS, so I came across this topic and made me an account.

Now I also got to ram-mount.com, which seems like the best solution I've come across so far.

If you're still here, I have a couple of questions for you:

1. How are you finding the ram-mount after a couple of months of use? Any remarks on it?
  2. The arm looks quite long in the picture, I'd like to have mine a bit more "nested" between the handlebars. They also do a 2" short arm (RAM-B-201U-A), instead of the standard 3" one you've got. What would you think of that?

The setup I'd chose would be identical to yours, but I'd order myself the protective case as I travel in the rain from time to time (RAM-HOL-AQ2U).

Thanks again for the information so far, and thanks in advance for replying!

Regards,

ZP

Congratulations! on your new bike... By this time you probably got your bike. So, let me get to answer your questions:

• How are you finding the ram-mount after a couple of months of use? Any remarks on it?

So far so good. It still hang on steady and no problem at all only needed to tighten Fork Stem Base.

• The arm looks quite long in the picture, I'd like to have mine a bit more "nested" between the handlebars. They also do a 2" short arm (RAM-B-201U-A), instead of the standard 3" one you've got. What would you think of that?

I agreed with you that the arm a little long but you can adjust the arm lower but the problem is that you might blocking the ignition key make it hard to insert and remove it. If you use the 2" short arm this may be also problem with clearance as you turn your handle bar and may hit your gas tank but I don't know for sure. It's good idea to try 2" and also has 3" as a back us since the 3" for sure should work. Please let me know how it goes and good luck with your new bike!

• Member Contributer

They have announced a new protective case that fits on all their mounts for June, which I think looks brilliant:

aqpro11.jpg

Will this case fit iphone 4? It looks great and heavy duty. I got my case made by "LIFEPROOF" with can be submerged in the water up to six feet. I went swimming with it at the club swimming pool for about half an hours and no trouble with it.

• Member Contributer

This mount looks good. Two questions, though:

Can you mount the phone horizontally?

How are you providing power to the phone while you ride?

Thanks.

Yes, the mount can be adjusted horizontally. I am working on wiring to the mounting kit to provide power while riding but at this time I do not hook up power to the phone.

They have announced a new protective case that fits on all their mounts for June, which I think looks brilliant:

Will this case fit iphone 4? It looks great and heavy duty. I got my case made by "LIFEPROOF" with can be submerged in the water up to six feet. I went swimming with it at the club swimming pool for about half an hours and no trouble with it.

Couple of answers:

My bike has been delayed, so don't have it (yet), should arrive any day now though.

The case I showed was one that is yet to be released in two months, they'll make a smaller one for small smartphones (BB Curve, iPhone,...) and a larger one even holding a Galaxy Nexus if necessary.

Check out the link for details:

http://www.ram-mount.com/NewProducts/aquaboxpro/tabid/4270/Default.aspx

As for the mount, I'm deffo going to wait for the new case before ordering. I'll help myself with the map holder in my tank bag in the meantime.

• 4 weeks later...

I can not find a ram moun for my 1200F. Any ideas?

Another user informed me that RAM-B-342U would fit.

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045051052050085/Default.aspx

However, I also ordered the RAM-B-272U for trying to fit it on the windscreen (touring screen), I'll post you my findings in about a month!

• Member Contributer

http://www.rammount....85/Default.aspx

I have one of those, don't waste your time or money on it. The hex drive is far too small to tighten properly and even when it becomes tight it is never secure. Mine would always swivel with the GPS mounted.

http://www.rammount....85/Default.aspx

I have one of those, don't waste your time or money on it. The hex drive is far too small to tighten properly and even when it becomes tight it is never secure. Mine would always swivel with the GPS mounted.

Really?? I've got one on order. Could I solve this by just have a strip of rubber on the inside of the tube?

aqpro11.jpg

So, I've got this on order and asked for availability, this is the response from rammount USA:

I would like to inform you that the RAM-HOL-AQ7-2CU on your order has not yet been released. We are currently holding the order to ship complete once the Aqua Box is released; approx. mid July.

• 2 months later...

Archived