oil cooler upgrade?

Chris71mach1

Question

So after seeing other threads around where people have attributed the running temp of their viffers to the small oil coolers that they come with, I'm wondering if anybody has found a larger oil cooler suitable (and able to even fit on) one of the 2nd gen bikes. I find that it is already bigger than the one on the 5th gen (man i have NO idea why Honda put such a small oil cooler on those bikes), and seemingly the same size as the 6th gen oil cooler, but I'd still like to look into the possibility of something bigger that can either fit right in, or be made to fit with relatively little mauling/modification to the brackets.

And while I'm on the subject, does anybody know the total coolant capacity on the 2nd gen VFR's?

4 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

I'm not familiar at all with 2nd gens - but if you have not seen it, this thread might help you. I don't know how the RC51 cooler compares to your 2nd gen cooler but it's larger than either gen 5 or 6. I did read someplace that the RC51 OC and the OC from the EX400 ATV are either identical or nearly so - but the EX cooler goes for far less $.

RC51 cooler swap

I'll take the 2nd gen cooler off your hands.......

once i get this project underway (ok maybe completed), ill get back with ya on this one. as for now, I'm still looking for a suitable 5 or 6 row replacement that will actually bolt up and fit without major surgery....

Archived