Shoei X-12 on VFR 6th gen rider

mikeodial

Just got my new Shoei X-12 helmet today, put in the breadth guard and went for a ride. By way of explaination, I have been using a Shoei X-11 for the past 5 years and loved it, but it was time for an update.

Many of the professional reviews have been lukewarm on the x-12 versus the x-11. Comments like it doesn't cool as well, noisier and different fit have all been made by web bike world and a lot a more.

My first impressions are:

Looks great. I purchased a white solid color and look like something from Star Wars. I think I was getting some more respect because of the color, or perhaps I was just dreaming, anyway I like this high vis color, as I have been wearing black and gray for my whole riding career.

Visibility. If I had not experienced this myself, I would not have believed it. It's like I have been riding for years with a letter box movie screen on small screen. Well Shoei has outdone themselves, I feel like I am wearing an open face helmet from a visibility perspective. Truly wonderful! Also head checks don't risk a visit to the chiropractor as happens on the x-11 when you have to turn to see what's on that incoming lane you planning to merge into.

The noise thing Well the jury is out as I only did a short 1.5 hour ride on New England back roads with a little freeway experience. Without the lock on the helmet, someone started whistling every time I turned my head, and it wasn't me! Hummmm... I closed the lock and that seems to solve the problem. Didn't try this with the vents closed (86 degrees mid afternoon New England), the whistling started at around 30 but was consistent till getting to around 50.

Cooling I just hate it when the reviews are right, but I do think the x-12 is not as good at cooling as the x-11. Under 30 there is no effect from the vents, at 40 all is good, and stays that way right up the speed range. If you crack the shield under 30 that does the trick from the ventilation perspective, but also creates an updraft right into your eyes if you have the breadth guard in place. I know. Suck it up you baby.

Fit

I am an extra large in x-11. The x-12 feels like a less tight fit, mainly because it's not as snug with all that extra visibilty. That means less inards grabbing your forehead, cheeks and chin than the older model. Not a bad feeling but definately different. There are extra options for the intenal guts to correct this if you feel strongly about it. I am sure this is just something I have to get used to because of all the extra visibility means less internal stuff.

Buffeting and stabillity My helmet made it to 80 mph on the freeway, of course the bike couldn't have been going that fast, but perhaps was trying to keep up with the new enthusiastic helmet I was wearing. Anyway, it felt very neutral, perhaps with a little more lift from the base than I have felt before, but not disturbing. The huge visibility benefits on the freeway will more than compensate for any foibles on this front.

Finish Fabulous as always with Shoei. A true standard for quality to be matched anywhere.

I will provide you with a more detailed review as I get some serious time with this hat on.

One day later update.

More likes and comments:

• It doesn't fog as much, and when it does it clears very fast
  • Put the ear plugs in today, but it is still noiser than the X-11 by quite a bit. At freeway speeds I can hear some whistling with the vents open
  • Really love the new visibility. Like a different ride.
  • Fitting seems almost a little looser than the X-12 XL, right now it feels broken in, which may mean that I need bigger pads, or maybe will just get used to it
  • Also getting used to the new clasp on the d-ring.
  • The click position mechanism on the visor seem much smoother than the X-11

• Member Contributer

That's a little odd... I found it quite a bit better. My situation is quite similar to yours, aside from the difference in VFR's. Actually I haven't ridden with it on my VFR yet. I too have been wearing the X-Eleven for 5-ish years. Three, really. The last I bought didn't fit the same as the first two, and I missed that feel. Until I got the 12, that is. Perfect uniform snugness in the same size (Medium) that I have been wearing.

To be honest, I've been wearing a bandana type head covering for a few years now which can detract from cooling. Wearing the 12, I haven't. So that makes a huge difference. But, I don't find the 11 to be that much better. I rode for a while with all the vents closed, and then in the afternoon opened them up. Big difference in the amount of air moving through it. I thought it vents really well. I was on my RC51, so maybe as a race helmet it works better with a RR bike?

I think the chin vent works wonderfully. So much better than any other helmet I've ever worn.

As for noise, I wear Big Ear custom molded plugs. They do the job, so I can't comment much there. Certainly nothing excessive, as compared to the 11.

The biggest complaint I have is the strap retainer thingy. They did away with the one they've used for years and went with a more traditional type snap. It's also on the later made 11's. I don't care for it. It snaps above the metal, as opposed to actually snapping onto the metal.

Mine doesn't lift at (high) speed, or move a bit when I turn my head. I exceeded legal limits a time or two... :laughing6-hehe:

I wore it all day (8 or so hours) without once taking it off.

Since you said it was a solid color and you just got it, I suspect you got the same deal I got. Since I know that the later made X Elevens are not as good I my earlier ones, I am very happy with it. Plus, for what I paid it's almost moot. Don't think I'd ever pay retail, though.

They've built in some emergency removal aides to get the cheek pads out before removing the helmet. That helps to remove the helmet without stressing the neck. I just wonder if any EMT's have received training on them. It's a great idea, but if no one knows it is pointless...

Sorry you're disappointed. :mellow:

• Member Contributer

I've worn my for a few jaunts around town. I definitely noticed the sight increase. I've also got an Arai that I won't be getting rid of, but this X-12 is a nice unit. The first time I wore it, the outside temp was in the mid-nineties, so I couldn't tell about the ventilation. But now that I've had a little cooler temps to navigate, the venting does work well. Although not as well as the X-11 apparently, it does seem on par with my Arai. I've previously had RF-800s, I know, that was a while ago, but the noise level is higher in the X-12 than what I had anticipated. I guess that's from the fact that this is a race helmet, not a helmet that was designed for the street. But like Kevin stated, I also utilized a Big Ear product, so the noise isn't a big issue. And for the price/deal I paid, I'm happy.

I've only worn mine once and it wasn't for a very long ride. The current helmet is an Arai Vector in XL. The X-12 in an XL feels quite a bit tighter. With that being said though, I had to change the cheek pads in the Vector, so I may end up having to do the same thing in the X-12. Too bad cheek pads are $50!!!

I like the strap snap on the X-12. It is the same on the Vector, so that's what I'm used to anyway.

I remember trying on the X-11 many years ago and thought the XL was way too tight on me, so the X-12 may be slightly bigger in size. I used to wear an XXL in an RF700, then XXL in an RF800, so either Shoei has changed their sizing or I am right between the two sizes. The XXL always feels good at first, but too loose by the time I retire it. Maybe the tighter X-12 will be tight for a while but then break in perfect??

I cut my hair this weekend too, so I plan to try the X-12 again this week and see if it is any better. :biggrin:

Archived