Wow-got me an Arai Vector helmet for $200 today.

Guest Jlewis50

Guest Jlewis50

Today I stopped by the local Motorcycle shop and got a great deal on an Arai Vector helmet. $200 out the door. This was the nicest helmet I have owned. It is so much nicer than the old Scorpion helmet I had, my old helmet is a 400 model.

The new helmet is so much lighter, better ventilation and much better fit for my big noggin. I always wanted an Arai but could never justify the high retail. Maybe my cheap nature all these years was wrong.

The only issue I had is the helmet is white, plain white. Maybe I will have a Honda wing airbrushed on it.

• Member Contributer

Today I stopped by the local Motorcycle shop and got a great deal on an Arai Vector helmet. $200 out the door. This was the nicest helmet I have owned. It is so much nicer than the old Scorpion helmet I had, my old helmet is a 400 model.

The new helmet is so much lighter, better ventilation and much better fit for my big noggin. I always wanted an Arai but could never justify the high retail. Maybe my cheap nature all these years was wrong.

The only issue I had is the helmet is white, plain white. Maybe I will have a Honda wing airbrushed on it.

Just something to bear in mind............I broke the visor attachment on my helmet the other day, and I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow, so had to run out and buy a new helmet pronto. I looked at a lot of lids, and the one thing that was universally true was that the discounted helmets were all at least 2yrs and, in a couple of cases, well over 3 yrs old from the date of manufacture (this was also true of some helmets going for full retail price!). So if the out of box life of a helmet is 3yrs to 5 yrs, a lot of those discounted ones were already almost half way through their life's cycle. The one I finally bought was still 9 mos old, and that was the 'youngest' one i could find, incidentally an EXO 750.

Congrats on the purchase, but check the date of manufacture just to be on the safe side. You may be able to return it for a full refund if you explain to them what the issue is - I'd be pretty confident that no one gave you the helmet's age before you threw down the $'s - and decide to buy a different helmet from the same store.

• Member Contributer

Nice score!

If it is loose on your head, order some replacement foam -Foam may degrade from use over time.

Composite shell is a very tough thing though. All the stories about dropped/"old" helmets needing replacement is BS. IMHO.

All who subscribe to the drop=replace theory; Please ship your barely used, 700-dollar helmets to me for proper disposal. I prefer XL.

Oh, and thank you for supporting our economy :laughing6-hehe:

Nice score! I think there is some misunderstanding about helmet age 5 year theory. I just read an article that interviewed an Arai factory guy and he said that if the helmet is new the age isn't an issue. Its 5 years of use that packs out the foam and warrants replacement.

• Member Contributer

Nice score! I think there is some misunderstanding about helmet age 5 year theory. I just read an article that interviewed an Arai factory guy and he said that if the helmet is new the age isn't an issue. Its 5 years of use that packs out the foam and warrants replacement.

It isnt just the foam that's at issue but the way the helmet and it's various parts are bonded together. Many bonding agents fail over time with exposure to air. I have a seven yr old helmet in my basement that I easily pulled the styrene liner from. I'm sure the shell would have held up to a significant impact, and the liner may well have absorbed enough shock to prevent a serious head injury, but if the shell and the liner parted company during a crash it's anybodies guess what the result would be. Not all helmets are created equally, and it's possible that the example I quote is the function of some kind of manufacturing flaw, in either (or some other), case the manufacturing date is in there for a reason.

The drop and replace theory is not one I pay much attention to, unless there is clearly an injury deeper than a paint chip in the helmet surface.

By the way, the helmet was brand new, never worn. It was ordered and the person never picked it up. Since he bailed on the deal they had the helmet. This model is now replaced by the Vector 2.

The Scorpion's aren't in he same league as an Arai. They are nice cheap helmets though.

• Member Contributer

Congrats!! What a deal!!! I happen to like the white... It's original and clean looking. I have an Arai too (Rossi replica I think, the one with the eyes?) and I think it's a fabulous regarding aerodynamic and weight.

Just my own opinion.

Cheers!

C

Just something to bear in mind............I broke the visor attachment on my helmet the other day, and I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow, so had to run out and buy a new helmet pronto. I looked at a lot of lids, and the one thing that was universally true was that the discounted helmets were all at least 2yrs and, in a couple of cases, well over 3 yrs old from the date of manufacture (this was also true of some helmets going for full retail price!). So if the out of box life of a helmet is 3yrs to 5 yrs, a lot of those discounted ones were already almost half way through their life's cycle. The one I finally bought was still 9 mos old, and that was the 'youngest' one i could find, incidentally an EXO 750.

Congrats on the purchase, but check the date of manufacture just to be on the safe side. You may be able to return it for a full refund if you explain to them what the issue is - I'd be pretty confident that no one gave you the helmet's age before you threw down the $'s - and decide to buy a different helmet from the same store.

Uhmmm.........I think if the 2 or 3 model year old helmet was not stored in a too hot or damp place/harsh conditions, it does not "age" as much as a helmet that is in use during that period of time, if at all. I've been buying past year model helmets for years to take advantage of the price breaks and never really had a problem of them being "aged" while they sat in storage and prematurely breaking up on me..Most helmet boxes and bags do a good job protecting them for a long time, as long as they are properly stored.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Congrats on a good deal. I was going to say, the Vector has been replaced by the Vector 2, that's why the steep discount. I love my Vector, but wish I had the removable liners of the Vector 2.

Archived