Seats/Windscreens/PC

Guest Ike

Hey all, I have a host of questions and I figured that this would be the best place to ask!

I have a 5th gen (1999) and was wondering the following:

1) I know the seat debate rages on continuously, but I'm looking for a seat that's slightly shorter than the stock and that I can ride all day on (I'm getting sick of 10 hour days on the stock seat). I also would like to be able to have a passenger backrest, but that is not completely necessary. I know this all points me towards a Corbin, but I've heard some bad things about Corbins, and was wondering if there are any alternatives.

2) I'm considering a new windscreen. I currently have the stock Honda one. I've heard however that different windscreens cause the sun to focus and burn the gauges (I'm drawn back to the ant in the magnifying glass days). Anyone care to shed some light on this for me? Also I don't know which one's are good. I'm 5"8 if that makes any difference.

3) What's the benefit of having a Power Commander? I have a Two Bro's slip on now, but I'm not able to tell if I'm running lean (as opposed to all my carborated bikes which made it rather clear they weren't happy)

4) Are the post '99 mirrors a huge improvement?

Any and all help is really appreciated :)

-Isaac

Edited by Ike

• Member Contributer

1) I know the seat debate rages on continuously, but I'm looking for a seat that's slightly shorter than the stock and that I can ride all day on (I'm getting sick of 10 hour days on the stock seat). I also would like to be able to have a passenger backrest, but that is not completely necessary. I know this all points me towards a Corbin, but I've heard some bad things about Corbins, and was wondering if there are any alternatives.

3) What's the benefit of having a Power Commander? I have a Two Bro's slip on now, but I'm not able to tell if I'm running lean (as opposed to all my carborated bikes which made it rather clear they weren't happy)

I'm a 6th gen guy, so forgive me if my answers are terrible.

1. If you want to buy a new aftermarket seat people generally prefer Sargent seats. This of course depends on your butt, though. Sargent

You can also have your seat re-worked for much less money. Something like this: Spencer

3. The PC also helps with throttle smoothness and transitions. FI bikes just are more touchy when they are too lean, but it is still just as bad on the engine to run lean.

4. The newer mirrors look better to most.

Another word on Sargent seats:

They can also rework/recover your stock seat, and can modify it any way you like.

Move the rider's perch down and forward? No problem. Different type/colour of vinyl? No problem.

• Member Contributer

I'm a Corbin guy and no complaints. Ive done 12 hour days on one. I have nothing against Sargents, just havent tryed one and I'm stuborn that if I like something I stick with it.

--- I'm running a zero gravity dubble bubble windshield that I like alot and have the y2k mirrors.

The thing on the stocker condom mirrors is that the rubbers wouldnt stay in place and drove me crazy. (pics in gallery)

-I've heard seat mods by Spencer are very good and priced reasonable.

- Is Hebron across the river from Cincy?

In addition I just took a look at Spencer and his prices are incredible. Has anyone had any experience with his work? Also does anyone have any experience with Sheepskin buttpads?

Hey Ike,

PM me sometime and we can meet for a ride. I live in Villa Hills, KY.

Oh fantastic! Most of the people who ride around here are pretty intense and I'm not huge on knee dragging :)

• Member Contributer

Hey all, I have a host of questions and I figured that this would be the best place to ask!

I have a 5th gen (1999) and was wondering the following:

2) I'm considering a new windscreen. I currently have the stock Honda one. I've heard however that different windscreens cause the sun to focus and burn the gauges (I'm drawn back to the ant in the magnifying glass days). Anyone care to shed some light on this for me? Also I don't know which one's are good. I'm 5"8 if that makes any difference.

Any and all help is really appreciated :)

-Isaac

1) The Corbin and Sargents are good seats but like helmets they seem to be individual preference. I've tried both and prefer the Corbin for comfort even though it weighs a ton and generally doesn't fit as well. My experience was that the Corbin is firmer which I found more comfortable on long rides. Both are going to be wider than the stock seat, with the Corbin being a little more 'dished'. I think Sargent offers a bolt on back rest.

2) It depends on what you want a new screen for? Depending on your height and other factors the original may provide cleaner, quieter air flow. Or a double bubble may be better at flowing air over you. For me the db was too turbulent and after a couple years I went back to stock. I've never heard of a screen burning the gauges.

3) A PC can richen up the lower rpm's making the FI less notchy, and with a proper tune can squeeze the most hp out with a slip on. I don't know that it's a huge improvement but PC2's can be had pretty cheap and there are plenty of maps around to try out.

4) The mirror improvement is basically looks. I also hated the condom mirrors with the rubbers constantly popping off.