New Bell RS-1 experience

Guest rid34fun

Guest rid34fun

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to share my experience with a new Bell RS-1. I have always had Shoei helmets. I read all the reviews and decided on the Bell. The helmet is light and very well balanced. It feels like it becomes part of your head, and not on it. The interior padding is nothing short of my favorite recliner. In fact if Bell made recliners, I would get one in a minute! Very solid feel, and the shield operates smoothly and with a high quality feel.

Riding with the Bell is a joy over my last Shoei's. I have enjoyed all my past helmets, but I must say I am impressed with this new model. The helmet is very quiet, I can hear sounds I have not heard in a while, different tire whines on surfaces, engine sounds better, and visibility seems better. The venting is great. It doesn't feel like your head is getting sucked out of the helmet, but a nice gentle cooling is felt.

The only downside is a little whistle when the shield is up and vents open. Not annoying at all, but different than the Shoei. It also seems to run a little small. Shoei I wear a large and the Bell I have to wear an XL. Probably because of the generous padding.

If anyone is looking for a new lid, this is a great one!

Also, the best part is right now, Neilsens in Illinois is selling them for $249.00! Can't beat that helmet for that price! Thanks for letting me share the experience! Hope it is helpful.

• Member Contributer

Did you get the Shattered or Panic Zone, both very cool, as are the other choices!

• 10 months later...

bumping to add to the archives, in case someone is looking for a review. i am returning my Bell RS-1 due to the incredible wind noise it exhibits on the VFR, for me. in my normal riding position, the wind noise is defeaning. tilt my head to horizontal (very uncomfortable when leaning forward) and the wind noise goes away. to be certain it wasn't my perception, i did a ~3 mile loop from my house, onto the highway, back home and immediately put my old Icon on, jumped back on the bike and did the exact same loop. icon was quieter and the frequency of the noise was much lower and more tolerable. i was really disappointed as i'm having a hard time finding a helmet that fits.

as always, YMMV.

• Member Contributer

I also recently purchased the RS-1. I have owned two Arai corsairs which is supposedly their top line helmet. However Arai pricing has gone astronomically high and I was looking for a more affordable alternative.

The Bell RS-1 is a match for the Arai in comfort, with a great fit and excellent interior. The helmet is also very light and well constructed. It is easily the most quiet helmet I have ever worn, by a good margin. The shield mechanism is fast and easy to use in comparison to the Arai. The Bell does not ventilate quite as well as the Arai, but well enough to be comfortable on a hot day. At speed, the helmet is very stable. I recently did a track day with mine and it performed very well.

Considering the price, I think Bell has hit a home run with this helmet.

Archived