Setting Sag 6th Gen

Guest 93Octane

Guest 93Octane

Just bought an 08 left over. Why I waited this long is beyond me. Anyways I would like to adjust the suspension, I can feel the rear end getting loose and it feels as if I am drifting. I am assuming I should invest some time to tighten things up a bit. Any tips on setting the sag would be very helpful.

Just bought an 08 left over. Why I waited this long is beyond me. Anyways I would like to adjust the suspension, I can feel the rear end getting loose and it feels as if I am drifting. I am assuming I should invest some time to tighten things up a bit. Any tips on setting the sag would be very helpful.

Check your PM.......

IMO, trying to set a certain sag with no compression adjustment, is near worthless, the stock shock is soft and very linear. So if you try and set traditional sag, its going to blow right through the travel and bottom.. Luckily the vfr atleast has a rebound adjustment, so you can crank the preload to get a stiffer shock and compensate any side effects of stronger return rebound..

My free sag is around zero on the rear end, im probably within 2 to 3 turns of full hard rebound 1/4 turn clockwise from stock setting, that makes the shock atleast usable with my type of handling.

I really have not checked front sag since bike was new over 5 years, , I found it worthless on the vfr and utilize my own set up by feel, but it somewhere between 29mm and 33 mm generally on the front. But I have a modified front end set up..

• Member Contributer

IMO, trying to set a certain sag with no compression adjustment, is near worthless, the stock shock is soft and very linear. So if you try and set traditional sag, its going to blow right through the travel and bottom.. Luckily the vfr atleast has a rebound adjustment, so you can crank the preload to get a stiffer shock and compensate any side effects of stronger return rebound..

My free sag is around zero on the rear end, im probably within 2 to 3 turns of full hard rebound 1/4 turn clockwise from stock setting, that makes the shock atleast usable with my type of handling.

I really have not checked front sag since bike was new over 5 years, , I found it worthless on the vfr and utilize my own set up by feel, but it somewhere between 29mm and 33 mm generally on the front. But I have a modified front end set up..

This page helped me understand sag settings better. http://www.ntnoa.org/suspension_preload.htm

Archived