Bead Breaking Tip

V-FORE

• Member Contributer

I saw this on a CX forum that I am on, & found it very helpful here is the link Irwin Clamps Since I had my new wheel, I needed to take the tire off & take my new tire off the bad wheel to put on the new wheel....So I called Home Depot & verified stock & went There & picked up two of them last night. So to go one step farther, the last set I changed I used my car, a 2x4 and a floor jack to break the beads. It worked, but these clamps work great!!! So I am passing it along.

Gary

"Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:15 PM

Don't know if this is old news, but it worked so well I had to pass it along.

For bead breaking I used a few wood clamps. Like these Click Here I'd recommend at least one good HD one like this Irwin. The other 2 or 3 clamps don't need to be this strong, so use what you have.

On the front tire you can get one jaw of the clamp on the rim and the other jaw on the tire just above the rim. If you need more power add another clamp or 2 along side the first to help out. Once the first side is done, flip the wheel over and repeat for the other bead. Once both beads are loose, place a few clamps so you can compress the sidewalls of the tire together, this will allow the tire beads to drop into the low center part of the rim, making it MUCH easier to remove the tire. Place the clamps 3 or 4 inches apart and then start prying the tire off directly across from the clamps. Once one side of the tire is off, go ahead and remove all the clamps and pry the other side off.

On the rear tire, the clamps I had weren't big enough to reach the wheel, but it still worked just clamping the tire sidewalls together with 2 or 3 clamps.

My tires should be here late Friday, cant wait to get er back together and go for a ride."

There's lots of videos about how to break the beads and stuff, But I wouldnt even mess with it , without the tire change machine. Some of these tires are so stout in the side wall, you can really damamge the bead with installing, not to mention warped and bent rotors.

The worst tire in My life to mount was the BT23GT, and to get back off

NOt to say a tire machine cant do damage too , but the odds are better

other wise the $25 or $30 for a shop is well worth it

Archived