New Givi Tank Lock Tank Bag

captjamo

• Member Contributer

I am intrigued by the new Givi tank bag that locks on the tank lock using their proprietary system. I would love to hear from anyone who has this already. A photo would be great. Does it look good on a 6th gen VFR tank? Or, does it look scabbed on and not so visually appealing. I'm referring to the Givi TankLock TPH02 Tank Bag. Then, of course, I'm interested in the quality of construction. Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Interesting. I like the idea of it, surprised it hasn't come along before. As for quality, I've never been concerned with GIVI on that front.

Motorcycle superstore lists it for $99, but not available. I emailed RL Motorcycles to see if he knows when it might be for sale here.

I might try it out on my RC51...

• Member Contributer

I was in the market for one, just ordered the T480 which is kind of big but that's what I want for touring.

Also ordered the ring Givi part BF03

Will report when it arrives and I get around to trying.

• Member Contributer

OK. Happy there seems to be some interest. Anxious to see how it perches up there before I place my order for the TPH02 and ring. I'm offshore for a while yet so I have time to kill before I can use it. Thanks.

• Member Contributer

OK. Happy there seems to be some interest. Anxious to see how it perches up there before I place my order for the TPH02 and ring. I'm offshore for a while yet so I have time to kill before I can use it. Thanks.

Yeah me too. RL is in southern GA, so maybe I'll have to take a road trip to check it out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

OK, it came in. Not the bag that you were looking at, but you can see how the ring works. BF03 was the correct bike-specific adapter for a 2007 6th Gen.

I had an SW-MOTECH tank bag mount on my old bike. This Givi is slightly lower profile than the SW-MOTECH, but each is ugly in its own way without the bag.

Maybe the smaller bag will look better, but this bag is the size I like.

I'll update once I've ridden with it a few times.

gallery_20267_5459_24029.jpg

I was worried when I saw the tiny screws they sent, but the OEM bolts have huge heads.

gallery_20267_5459_24315.jpg

All installed - The clamping ring overhangs quite a bit, it bent slightly when I tightened. This took way less than the OEM torque, judging by the feel. I don't have an allen head that small for my torque wrench.

Just in case you're curious - blue locktite is my friend.

gallery_20267_5459_24818.jpg

Snapped in the bag, no clacking sound like the instructions say. Seems to be sturdy. That red lever pops it off, like they say less than a second going on or coming off.

gallery_20267_5459_25457.jpg

Bag on - I can see over it but it is pretty huge.

gallery_20267_5459_12216.jpg

And it goes even bigger if you want.

gallery_20267_5459_12967.jpg

"GPS" indent under the map window. Too bad I've got an Apple with capacitive touch screen. Although that vinyl is pretty stiff an android (or GPS with touch screen) might have problems too.

gallery_20267_5459_37702.jpg

Business end of the bag.

gallery_20267_5459_36825.jpg

rain cover - stows in an external pouch up front. Gee, my old bag never needed one until it started to fall apart - are they trying to tell me something? Now I'm going to worry about it.

• Member Contributer

Cool, nice review! I think I'd prefer the smaller for my RC51.

By the way, Honda sport bike gas caps have not changed design in many many years. They are all the same, so no issues with fitting the VFR.

Was just at dealership this weekend that had a Cortech tank bag on display that had a very similar locking mechanism. A piece mounted to the filler thing on the tank. You then set the tank bag on the thingy, and did a 90-deg twist to lock the bag in place. Here's a link:

Cortech Dryver Tank Bag

It doesn't show pics, but the description mentions the sliding base, which mates to the locking ring that mounts on the tank ... and the video on this link shows it.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I am intrigued by the new Givi tank bag that locks on the tank lock using their proprietary system. I would love to hear from anyone who has this already. A photo would be great. Does it look good on a 6th gen VFR tank? Or, does it look scabbed on and not so visually appealing. I'm referring to the Givi TankLock TPH02 Tank Bag. Then, of course, I'm interested in the quality of construction. Thanks.

I just posted some pics of this installed on my 2009. It feels pretty solid and appears to be just enough for short trips and small item storage (only 4lt). I just got it on Friday and used it over the weekend so it's too early to tell overall quality just now.

See:

I got the new GIVI bag. I was begining to notice that my old magnetic bag was scratching the paint on the tank. So I looked at lots of bags and settled on the GIVI. So far I like it. Yes, it's big but that's what I wanted. I'm leaving in a week for a 2 week touring down to the Dragon and beyond. I"ll be able to provide a better review after that trip. Here's the bag on my bike.

post-19840-0-38344600-1314706855_thumb.j

post-19840-0-86513900-1314706865_thumb.j

• 3 years later...

Was just at dealership this weekend that had a Cortech tank bag on display that had a very similar locking mechanism. A piece mounted to the filler thing on the tank. You then set the tank bag on the thingy, and did a 90-deg twist to lock the bag in place. Here's a link:

Cortech Dryver Tank Bag

It doesn't show pics, but the description mentions the sliding base, which mates to the locking ring that mounts on the tank ... and the video on this link shows it.

Hey, those do look way better than the Givi (for me anyway), and they are waterproof from the onset. Though withouth a clear window for maps and nav gear, still looking quite nice on the design..

Archived