Hells Canyon Rally 2011

• Member Contributer

This is the first time I've gone to this. Headed over to Baker City on Friday. If anybody has advice on routes or what to experience over there I'm open to suggestions.

Regards,

CN

This is the first time I've gone to this. Headed over to Baker City on Friday. If anybody has advice on routes or what to experience over there I'm open to suggestions.

Regards,

CN

Lisa and I will be there camping at the highschool, George <I don't know what his VFRD screen name is> is riding out with us on his 5th gen.

• Member Contributer

Great. Maybe I'll run into you sometime this weekend. We're staying at a hotel over there, I think it's the "Always Welcome Inn" or something like that. A couple of buddies are going over there with me. One has a Shadow 1100, the other a Ducati Monster.

Great. Maybe I'll run into you sometime this weekend. We're staying at a hotel over there, I think it's the "Always Welcome Inn" or something like that. A couple of buddies are going over there with me. One has a Shadow 1100, the other a Ducati Monster.

We are meeting at Starbucks at 223rd, in Troutdale in the Fred Meyer Parking lot at 6am. you guys are welcome to ride out with us. We plan on going out thru Estacada to Maupin, and across country to shaniko and points east.

We wont be moving at squid speed but a nice long cruise with plenty of views.

We will have my St1300, 5th gen VFR, 6th Gen VFR and a Ducati 999. My Triumph is in pieces(cause I wrecked it) so bug has to stay home.

• Member Contributer

Wish I could join - doc's still not giving me the green light to ride. Not quite sure from looking at their website if this is mostly Harley's, cruisers or a more general mix of rides. I'd be interested in your opinions, feedback (and pic's!) when you get back. I'll keeps fingers crossed for good weather for you.

• Member Contributer

I'll be there for sure. Been going pretty much every year since inception when it was just Steve Folkstad and a few of his riding buddies at the Geiser Grand. It's my favorite corner of the state. Lots of good roads and lots of interesting places to explore. I'll watch for other VFRs. Me? I'll be riding with a friend from Red Lodge MT on his ST 1100 and another friend from Portland on his FZ1. See you in Hell!...

:tour:

• Member Contributer

Thanks everyone for the invites & well wishes.

But, I’m embarrassed to say that I will be hauling the bikes up I-84 tomorrow on my trailer ! 

The reason is that we have to be back Sunday and we really wanted to get at least two full days of riding in over there and still have enough energy to make it back Sunday night. If we could have got that extra day, we probably would have rode both ways. This is the first time we’ve ever ridden in that part of the state and we really wanted to take advantage of it while we are over there. Add to it that I have had some weird electrical gremlins w/ my bike lately that I have not had time to troubleshoot yet. At least I could bring the bike back home with me.

I do promise that if I can make it up to the Nelson rally this summer I will be riding the whole route to & from.

Hope to see all of you that are going over there………..and have a safe trip if you are riding over………

CN

Thanks everyone for the invites & well wishes.

But, I’m embarrassed to say that I will be hauling the bikes up I-84 tomorrow on my trailer ! 

The reason is that we have to be back Sunday and we really wanted to get at least two full days of riding in over there and still have enough energy to make it back Sunday night. If we could have got that extra day, we probably would have rode both ways. This is the first time we’ve ever ridden in that part of the state and we really wanted to take advantage of it while we are over there. Add to it that I have had some weird electrical gremlins w/ my bike lately that I have not had time to troubleshoot yet. At least I could bring the bike back home with me.

I do promise that if I can make it up to the Nelson rally this summer I will be riding the whole route to & from.

Hope to see all of you that are going over there………..and have a safe trip if you are riding over………

CN

Hauling the bikes on a trailer??? Sad:(

We will be going on the Joseph route on Saturday.

I hope we run into you.

And yes it, seems to be mostly a cruiser event but we still manage to have a lot of fun.

Many of my friends still ride Harley's at least the ones I have not converted to Sport Tour riders. :)

Though I've never attended the rally, I have, on several occasions, come across riding groups going to or from the event. Mostly cruisers, and not always pleased to be passed by a sportbike. I ride that area a lot, and prefer the roads less crowded. Not anti-social, but really don't care for big rider groups. Hell's Canyon and hwy 71 to Cambridge, Id. are not roads I want to encounter a bunch of cruisers sightseeing and blocking the road, or not being able to maintain their own lane. Ditto for Dooley Mtn. Rd (hwy 245). I see enough of that around the mountains here in Idaho.

There may be some construction on the utilty's road up to Hell's Canyon Dam, on the Idaho side of the Snake.

I've stayed at the Oregon Trail Motel numerous times, a biker friendly place I can recommend. Not expensive, and clean. Dinner, or even a drink in the bar at Geiser Grand Hotel is a must do. There's also a pretty good Mexican restaurant a couple of blocks from Main St., opposite the brewpub.

I plan to head that way next week, after the crowds have left. Don't drink all the beer.

• Member Contributer

If you do make it to Joseph, stop in at the R&R drive in, just off the main intersection in town, and say hello to Jennifer Zollman. She'll probably be too busy flipping burgers at the grill to say hello back, but tell her Dean said hi and you'll probably at least get a smile. Along with the best burger in town. Joseph is a good destination this weekend, too, with the hot rod and custom car show to entertain you. Some really beautiful customs and some really, uhmmm, interesting other cars to look at lined up on both sides of Main Street for blocks and blocks. Sorta like you'll see in Baker City, only in BC its all about bikes. Of course.

I tend to agree if your going for a brisk ride you may be dissapointed at the congestion. Iike to look at the bikes and the crowds don't bother me much. I can ride isolated roads any time but you gt to meet som new people, make some new friends and..... I will leave out the x rated stuff that might or might not go on. thats my story and Im sticking to it.

• 1 year later...

I'm scheduled to ride to the Hell's Canyon rally with a friend who rides a Harley Road Glide. He pushes it hard to keep up with me but we always have a great time together. We've got another friend who's 71 and rides the hell out of a BMW RT. He looks like the prototypical Harley rider and has wore a lot of them out, but makes fun of Harley riders nowadays because of their constant "look at me" attitude. He has two BMWs, a Honday CB 750, a FZ 1 that he bought with his very first Social Security check and an hold Harley in the garage. We like motorcycles and brew pubs. :beer:

Archived