Luggage Idea... different so be prepared

Infidel

• Member Contributer

I am researching options for my VFR. Keep in mind this is just research at this point. Looking for ideas and opinions.

I have never been one for being like everyone else so... wanting to be different.

I am contemplating putting these two racks on my bike.

gallery_18346_4978_14209.jpg

IMG 4608 3 1

gallery_18346_4978_8361.jpg

100 1132

Do you think they would mate up OK withOUT grab handles? I don't want to do sidebags and I am not going to be mounting cases on them. I have two Waterproof Givi "Dufflebag" type bags that my wife bought me a bit ago for my Harley that I will be mounting on my bike along with a tank bag.

How rediculous do you think my bike would look with both bags in place?

If you know of better options or want to offer opinions, go for it!!

• Member Contributer

They would be different heights, the solo rack is designed to let the seat come on and off, so it is raised up higher.

Just so you know.

In my opinion hard bags are always better than soft, but it's your bike. I've seen bikes with a milk cartoon strapped in place back there. :)

• Member Contributer

If you can mount Ken's rack beneath the other one they just might be about the same height. I've often wondered if the waterproof duffles would be easier to deal with than hard luggage.

You could also get an extra set of grab handle covers and very carefully cut out an opening for that rack like this so it gives it a "finished" look.

IMG_1214.jpg

• Member Contributer

If you're just going to lay the soft bags on the rack, then either one is fine. I'd even go as far as to question why you're bothering to get a rack. Just be easier to lay the bag on the seat bungie it down. Unless you're trying to squeeze two bags on top. Then I'd probably go for the solo rack and have a plate made to widen it and give space and bungie points to hold on to two bags.

• Member Contributer

If you're just going to lay the soft bags on the rack, then either one is fine. I'd even go as far as to question why you're bothering to get a rack. Just be easier to lay the bag on the seat bungie it down. Unless you're trying to squeeze two bags on top. Then I'd probably go for the solo rack and have a plate made to widen it and give space and bungie points to hold on to two bags.

Somebody on VFRD posted a very cool 'soft bag guard'... don't remember the name he used. It was some bent Al (??) to keep the nylon bags from melting on the exhaust.

That said, I really like my Givis.

Glenn

If you know of better options or want to offer opinions, go for it!!

Get the second rack. Use it to strap a Giant Loop Great Basin to. You will need the rack because the the stock passenger grab handles are too wide and you need to have a rear strap point to position the bag also. The Giant Loop stuff is incredibly rugged, waterproof, and well thought out. It holds a ton of stuff but carries the weight better than anything I have ever used.

The Great basin is intended to strap down to grab handles and passenger pegs, and it worked perfectly on my new Versys (the bike I originally bought the luggage for), but it is such an exceptionally well made piece I decided to put it on the VFR as well. Unfortunately, the stock grab handles are too wide and the bag doesn't fit correctly. I had to rig up narrower mounting hardware and added a cross piece at the end to tie off to, otherwise the bag slides forward due to the shape of the rear plastics.

It is a bit pricey but becomes more economical as luggage for two bikes. I love the quick mount/dismount to switch from one bike to another. It can hold a bunch of stuff but folds down for just day ride amounts of stuff. If I was using it only on the VFR woulda got the white one. Check out their website for all the features of this luggage, it gets great reviews from most who have tried it.

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/products/great-basin-saddlebag

The pic still has my saddlebag standoff mounted, but it is not necessary to keep the bag off the exhaust. The bodywork does that in the position it mounts.

glgb1.jpg

glgb3.jpg

gl2r.jpg

[/]gl4gp.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the replies... basically I wanted to do something different. I already have the Givi Soft bags, so was wanting to reuse them. I had thought of the "Strap to the Seat" idea, but read a thread or two that others made comment of the bag rubbing or a strap rubbing the finish some on the sides of the seat... not looking forward to that. With the racks, I was hoping to have a system to bungie both bags down, keep the seat cowl on, and when I get to where I am going, remove the two soft bags and keep the sportbike look I have so far. I already bought Kens bracket. Haven't bought the other one yet. I also bought this too.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/5/621/37529/ITEM/Givi-TankLock-Mount.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/37523/ITEM/Givi-TankLock-TPH02-Tank-Bag.aspx

Should be an interesting touch for a tank bag. I have a tank bag for my Harley but it is black leather and not really interested in strapping that on my VFR.

• Member Contributer

There are quite a few riders on the forum that use the Ventura bag system. It would likely do exactly what you're planning with this set of racks.

Ventura Bike Luggage

Very interesting. I like the Sport Rack... looks similar to this one I was going to purchase. Hmmm now I got some decisions to make.

http://www.revsperformance.com/renntec/sports_racks.htm

Archived