2002 VFR Major Stalling Problems

Guest vfr980002

Guest vfr980002

Hi All,

I currently own 2 VFR800's one is a fairly new 2009 Black Beauty, the other is a 2002 VFR 800 that I bought new in 2002. The 2002 is well used and may be at the end of it's life, I'm just too stubborn to admit it. After having a Certified Mechanic replace the head gasket it has developed a bad stalling issue anywhere between 2500 and 5500 rpm. As she warms it is possible to get her to rev to 5000 rpm, however it is not consistent (I can ride her to 35-40 miles per hour but she is will stall along the way) . I bought a new CPU knowing that this is rarely an issue, and is was not the issue, with the new CPU she still stalled as before. The 2002 has over 121,000 miles on her and I am willing to throw about 500 dollars at the problem but before I take it to the Shop I was hoping maybe someone here has had this issue and might have a solution for me. Just for information sake, I have replaced the entire wiring both front and back 12,000 miles ago, pretty much all electrical has been replaced at about 100K but I do not believe there are issues there but I'm far from knowing for sure. Any help is truly Appreciated.

Thanks

VFR980002

AKA Himile

2009 VFR 11,679 miles

2002 VFR 121,172 miles

Hi All,

I currently own 2 VFR800's one is a fairly new 2009 Black Beauty, the other is a 2002 VFR 800 that I bought new in 2002. The 2002 is well used and may be at the end of it's life, I'm just too stubborn to admit it. After having a Certified Mechanic replace the head gasket it has developed a bad stalling issue anywhere between 2500 and 5500 rpm. As she warms it is possible to get her to rev to 5000 rpm, however it is not consistent (I can ride her to 35-40 miles per hour but she is will stall along the way) . I bought a new CPU knowing that this is rarely an issue, and is was not the issue, with the new CPU she still stalled as before. The 2002 has over 121,000 miles on her and I am willing to throw about 500 dollars at the problem but before I take it to the Shop I was hoping maybe someone here has had this issue and might have a solution for me. Just for information sake, I have replaced the entire wiring both front and back 12,000 miles ago, pretty much all electrical has been replaced at about 100K but I do not believe there are issues there but I'm far from knowing for sure. Any help is truly Appreciated.

Thanks

VFR980002

AKA Himile

2009 VFR 11,679 miles

2002 VFR 121,172 miles

Did the mechanic hand the bike back to you with the stalling issue? or did it develop shortly after the repair was made?

Did you check throttle cable slack?

Intake filter?

Fuel pump putting out enough pressure?

Electrics - anything shorting out anywhere?

Did the mechanic hand the bike back to you with the stalling issue? or did it develop shortly after the repair was made?

Did you check throttle cable slack?

Intake filter?

Fuel pump putting out enough pressure?

Electrics - anything shorting out anywhere?

I work at a Honda Car Dealership, and the Mechanic is Certified the problem is that he has access to Honda when there is difficulty with cars but that does not crossover to Motorcycles or Acura's. He Followed all the Specs in the Honda Manual including Compression test, fuel pump, and pretty much any mechanical issue. He suspects that the Auto Enricher is in a "safe mode" but that cannot be confirmed. I know a guy who has a 09 R-6 who said that his Auto enricher failed and his bike was a mess while it was goofed up, but because it was under warranty he really was not sure how they fixed it. I was thinking of taking it to the Shop for the guys to see if they can pinpoint the issue and if they could fix it for under $500 I'd let them. I know the valves are at spec, New Spark Plugs, Oil, Oil Filter, Head Gaskets, (I believe it is the Fan Sensor) she was running a little hot that is no longer a problem, checked the injectors, Air Filter. I choose to try a replacement CPU because he said that could be a problem but in the car world that is a very rear occurrence. I've had pretty good people to bounce ideas off of but no one owns a VFR.

• Member Contributer

Let me get this straight.

You had the head gaskets changed: why?

The bike NOW stalls, AFTER the head gaskets change, but it didn't stall before this. Right?

Are there any FI error codes?

• Member Contributer

The bike NOW stalls, AFTER the head gaskets change, but it didn't stall before this. Right?

Basically +1 to this.

I would suspect it is something simple like a twisted fuel hose, or a vacuum line in the way of the throttle linkage.

The "auto enricher" on the VFR consists of a cylinder filled with wax, connected to the coolant lines, which pushes open the throttle butterflies. It is completely mechanical, and I am sure has nothing to do with your current issues. This makes me suspect of your mechanic's knowledge and experience when it comes to VFRs.

When you say stalling, do you mean no power, and the engine won't rev any higher, or does the engine stop?

Sorry for the novel but here goes,

About 2 years ago my main wire harness was going bad, in the process of finding this out the shop pulled the plugs. Well I put everything back together but the front spark plug were only hand tighten and one of the front plugs backed out and blew out the spark plug. The Harness was replaced in Aug 2008 the spark plug blow out happened in March of 2009. I tried to tap it from the outside which worked but it was not correct (I know let the pros do the job right) The Mechanic needed to pull the head to re-tap the plug thread and wanted to see how much damage was caused to the piston & Bore.Note: At this point there was no problem with the engine RPM's. The parts were ordered and when the Mechanic put the engine back together there was an issue the Head gasket, it did not seal and coolant was in the exhaust. Another gasket was ordered and when he pulled the head gasket there was a small bug that somehow got between the gasket. The second Gasket had an issue and it was also allowing coolant to pass into the exhaust so a third gasket was ordered and this one was the charmer. He then put new spark plugs, new oil, and new oil Filter and she fired up fine at idle but it was at this point the stalling problem became evident. He then replaced I think it was the sensor for the fan checked the compression, verified the amount of fuel the fuel pump was pumping (that was within range specified by the Book), then checked the injectors replaced the thermostat, and put everything back together.

I have since quit that job and the wife said to get the bike back even though he was going to proceed with the testing. The Mechanic is a friend doing me a favor but I live with the wife so home the bike came. Before I quit the two bikes were next to each other on a 50 degree day. They were fired up at the same time and the 2009 VFR shot up to 2300 rpm and the 2002 VFR sat around 1200 rpm. That created the suspect that the Auto enricher may be bad. The Bike's tapping of the Spark Plug happened around Dec/Jan 2010 the bike returned home in Feb 2011 so it did sit for 13 months. There was no fuel in the tank so that might help with the fueling and possible fouling. It idles fine the stalling does not happen until it is revs go above 2500 rpm. Man I forgot a lot of details in that first blog, Sorry bout that. No FI codes. I'm getting a little tired so if something here does not make sense forgive me.

just curious if you had a look at the pistons when the heads were off?

The pistons were in good shape when you consider how many miles are on this puppy. The scaring of the bore was a concern, fouling of the spark plug will be an issue one day and I may burn some oil (something none of my VFR's ever did)

• Member Contributer

Ok so what do you mean by stalling - you will be on the gas and the bike suddenly cuts out and the engine quits, and you have to restart it? Or it just loses most of its power, bucks like a wild bronco and then the power comes back on?

If it's the latter example, what happens when you open the throttle further - does it suddenly come back into life with a big rush of power?

There is no mechanical auto enricher for the VFR, only a fast idle wax unit that controls the throttle air bypass. See this video I made on how the "fast idle wax unit" works for when the engine is cold. If there is any enrichment going on, it will being controlled by the ECU based on air temperature and coolant temperature.

To make it as clear as possible - when you twist the throttle, any enrichment or fast idle stuff is effectively turned off. If the bike is stalling when you're on the throttle, something else is wrong.

Ok so what do you mean by stalling - you will be on the gas and the bike suddenly cuts out and the engine quits, and you have to restart it? Or it just loses most of its power, bucks like a wild bronco and then the power comes back on?

If it's the latter example, what happens when you open the throttle further - does it suddenly come back into life with a big rush of power?

There is no mechanical auto enricher for the VFR, only a fast idle wax unit that controls the throttle air bypass. See this video I made on how the "fast idle wax unit" works for when the engine is cold. If there is any enrichment going on, it will being controlled by the ECU based on air temperature and coolant temperature.

To make it as clear as possible - when you twist the throttle, any enrichment or fast idle stuff is effectively turned off. If the bike is stalling when you're on the throttle, something else is wrong.

Bucking like a wild Bronco IS A Great description, it does not need to be restarted the engine will idle. it almost feels as if the Engine switch is flipped the off.

Archived