What's a 1st-gen 'parts bike' worth?

buellosaurusrex

WRT to my Project 'Phoenix'......

I found a parts bike, (local) on Craigslist, runs, but brakes are locked. No title (which is why the 'parts bike'), pix look good, complete bike. All I would have to do is a frame-swap to have a running/functional, TITLED Interceptor VF750F for $600.00. This one is all there.

Good deal?

I did the mental math; I figured I'd have over a grand into Phoenix by the time I was done. Sounds like a no-brainer to me, if I can scrape up the cash.

I have not viewed it in person yet...going by pix and seller's description.

• Member Contributer

WRT to my Project 'Phoenix'......

I found a parts bike, (local) on Craigslist, runs, but brakes are locked. No title (which is why the 'parts bike'), pix look good, complete bike. All I would have to do is a frame-swap to have a running/functional, TITLED Interceptor VF750F for $600.00. This one is all there.

Good deal?

I did the mental math; I figured I'd have over a grand into Phoenix by the time I was done. Sounds like a no-brainer to me, if I can scrape up the cash.

I have not viewed it in person yet...going by pix and seller's description.

I bought an entire '83 VF750F for $250 once. The owner traded it in and the dealer knew I had one so they offered it to me cheap as a parts bike. It was a non-runner, but not for any reason other than a dead starter motor.

I bought one for 600 supposeIf that to be running , it wasnt.

I bought two for 800, one I ride and one parts bike with a junk motor.

For 600 if and if al tat is wrong is locked brakes I would probaly do it.

If the body work is in good shape you could get most of that back if you sell of what you dont need.

• Member Contributer

I would have the owner start the bike up with you there, look it over for leaks and such and then offer him $300 in cash if everything looks good and then haggle. Chances are no title will keep a lot of interested parties at bay. Make sure you get a frame lined up before doing the deal though or your project may get no where fast.

And remember the golden rule. It's a good deal if you think it is when all is said and done. :fing02:

I paid 800 for my running, titled bike. Probably going to spend a three/four hundred on it this year. Some places you can get title insurance from an insurance company and get it registered. A call to the main DMV center would help.

Ive got 2 of them under a tarp. VFRD members have been picking the bones........................................

Say Tim, I might need a fork tube for mine...how are the ones the "tarp" bikes. anything not all pitted?

And you're in MD as well. That makes things easier.

Thanks

--jeff

I would have the owner start the bike up with you there, look it over for leaks and such and then offer him $300 in cash if everything looks good and then haggle. Chances are no title will keep a lot of interested parties at bay. Make sure you get a frame lined up before doing the deal though or your project may get no where fast.

And remember the golden rule. It's a good deal if you think it is when all is said and done. :fing02:

You missed the first part......I HAVE a titled Interceptor already! It's rough, and missing parts, but the frame and engine are matching numbers and there is a title.

What I though I might do is strip and repaint my project frame, then swap the best parts over along with the running motor and; Presto! Running, titled Interceptor!

If you can get it down to 500 I would pull the trigger on it.

Why 500?

Is a hundred bucks worth dickering over? Or is that just for dickering's sake?

I've already chewed him down from 650.

I'm figuring....over time....I could probably earn back half of that by parting out what's left over.

Unless, of course, you think 600 is WAY overpaying......

• 1 year later...

Archived