OzVFR - Summer in the Snowy's 2011

P1000961.JPG

Ok so I'm bowing to peer group pressure and writing up a report :)

Nearly every year around February, a bunch of us go riding in the Snowy Mountains on New South Wales, Australia. We go at this time to take advantage of the (hopefully) good weather and the relatively clear roads.

Day 1:

Trev and Sandra on their 97, along with Hayden on his 2010 Veefalo and RoY on his CBR1000rr went up a day earlier than most. They did a loop of the Alpine way, where RoY had a brain fart and tried to make his CBR into a dirt bike, some pix here. Only RoY's pride was injured luckily. After picking his bike up from its lay down on the RHS, he says "I'm going to have to go back to the chalet, I cant change gears with that bent lever"....Oh, that bent brake lever is the gear lever now eh Roy? Much amusement followed. The bike was ridable but had to keep getting its radiator re-filled as the plastic bit holding the rad-cap was snapped off. "If it wasn't for the fucking gate I would have stopped fine"

dallas08.jpg

pix from Trev here:

http://www.bikesnstuff.net/gallery2/v/bikes/sins/eleven/

Day 2:

Leaving from Canberra, I was to meet Terry, JohnS, Taxus, Darren and Ali and Scott at Batemans Bay. Terry phoned me at 10 so I left home at 10:20, arrving at the Bay at 11:30, made great time even after I had to slow for a copper and stop halfway down the Clyde mountain for roadworks. I'd miscalculated how long it would take them and ended up having to wait an hour for them to arrive. See map A to B.

Full Size

After some lunch and ribbing of Taxus as his tailpeice was falling to bits, adding to the delay, we headed off to Bega. I told everyone I'd mark the corner at point C, and we'd take the beach road through to Tathra, but Darren and Ali missed the turn due to 2 semi-tralers blocking their view just as they got to the corner. We carried on down the coast, lovely road with some tight forrest roads and lovely sweepers with ocean views :)

At Bega we re-grouped and mad our way up Brown Mountain to the speedway heading to Cooma. I surprised myself and Terry when I passed him going up the mountain out of a right hander, surprise because it was done with the front wheel of the bimmer airbourne, I thought they were supposed to have wheelie control !!. At the top of the mountain Darren caught me on his frankenviffer, then I got past a couple of logging trucks and tootled into Cooma, speedo said 245 but Zumo said 226, so even the Germans cant get a speedo right :squid:

Bench racing and tall tales followed, plus a bit of stirring for RoY.

Here I took a couple of pix of Haydens Veefalo, complete with Ohlins 30mm cartidges, and a 1500 rear spring...he likes the suspension now, just wants a switch for the ABS. :comp13:

P1000940.JPG

P1000942.JPG

Day 3:

We discussed the route for the day's ride at length, settled on a loop of the Alpine way via Adaminaby, then lunch in Tumbarumba. Trev and Roy were to meet us at Tumbarumba after hopefully finding a new radiator cap in town somewhere. We re-fuelled and set off, with Taxus leading...it wasn't until we got to Thredbo that I realised we were doing the loop in the opposite direction to what we had just discussed :goofy:

Full Size

The run from F to E through the tight mountain roads was excellent, we harrasseda couple of guys on Harleys, one guy was all over the shop trying to not let me pass, he actually levered his rear wheel off the road on one tight corner, after I passed him we came to some roadworks, so I let a few of the guys through, I hate gravel roads: more fuel:

P1000948.JPG

The run from Khancoban to Tumbarumba was ok, but very rough road, not good for me on the bimmer with its sporty suspension, by then it was time to feed our faces:

P1000949.JPG

From Tumba we back-tracked a bit then did Elliots way, one of my favourite roads in the mountains, very steep mountain descent, 35, 25, 15 km/h corners to the valley floor, 45, 55 km corners, then up the next mountain, tight twisty m/c nirvana, to the locality of Kiandra, then onto the Yellow brick road to Adaminaby, so called due to the orange line markings (orange brick road doesn't sound right!). We had one of the best runs through here, splitting into groups of 2 or 3, me using the full set of features of the bimmer, traction control, abs, huge power, just great fun, then another fuel stop:

P1000956.JPG

The guy at the servo here is a real arrogant prick, we'll do our best to remember not to stop at his servo ever again...

Back at Mad Mooses guest house some bench racing ensued, then Kirby turned up from Sydney on his 6th gen frankenviffer, thus concluding the VFR ambush on my black bimmer...later Dan and Jesse turned up from Canberra

P1000960.JPG

P1000961.JPG

The next morning we spent about an hour discussing which way to go, and finally settled on a run down Brown mountain to the bemboka Pie shop, then a run through the forrest on Mt Darragh Road, lovely sets of 34/45 corners through the forrest.

P1000973.JPG

Full Size

At Wyndham stopped as Daniels 6th gen had been on reserve for 20km thru some twisties, and my bimmer was on 220km - theoretically I only have a 250 - 260 range, but my reserve wasn't on yet. Daniel decided he'd head to Pambula as it was closest, so Paul, RAB and i went with him, my reserve light finally turned on and I would have gotten 280km out of the tank, even with lots of tootling...

After refuelling we made our way back through the fantastic tight forrest roads to Bombala, I really wanted to go across the road and sink a few coldies, but we still had an hour or so to go to get back to base:

P1000978.JPG

We took a new road to Maffra - it has 2 x 500m sections of gravel, then some fresh tar and gravel, so will be a great stretch of road in a year or so when it has settled.

back at Mooses, I found trev having a rest on his comfy 4th gen:

P1000981.JPG

I see RAB fiddling with my bike in the background...

Day 4:

We all went our seperate ways in little groups, all headed for home, had a great few days in the mountains with some great company, lots of great roads, great stories, and stand up comedians, thanks to all for a great SinS2011.

Now some extra photo's from Kirby, some video's are coming soon :)

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h212/vfr_vtec/Sins%202011/

• Member Contributer

Ta for the write-up AB, like you I had a ball. Day 3 was the best of the lot, Elliotts was fun and the blast along the Yellow Brick Road was mental :lobby:

• 4 weeks later...

They did a loop of the Alpine way, where RoY had a brain fart and tried to make his CBR into a dirt bike, some pix here. Only RoY's pride was injured luckily. After picking his bike up from its lay down on the RHS, he says "I'm going to have to go back to the chalet, I cant change gears with that bent lever"....Oh, that bent brake lever is the gear lever now eh Roy? Much amusement followed. The bike was ridable but had to keep getting its radiator re-filled as the plastic bit holding the rad-cap was snapped off. "If it wasn't for the fucking gate I would have stopped fine"

on down the coast, lovely road with some tight forrest roads and lovely sweepers with ocean views :)

Would you believe two weeks later when I was back for another 4 days that f%$ken gate was open, but I didn't need the run off because I didn't do any day dreaming till bed time lol

• 2 weeks later...

Archived