Cortech Sport Saddlebags

Bad324

I currently have a Cortech Sport Tailbag and love it. This season I'm looking at possibly taking some overnight trips and could use the extra capacity. My only concern is how these do with the undertail exhaust. Anyone have any experience with this?

• Member Contributer

You shouldn't have any issues with them, especially if you have the stock exhaust. I used my Nelson Rigg tail bag & saddle bags with no problem. After swapping to Scorpion exhaust, I made up some heat shields to protect the bags, but probably didn't need to. :fing02:

You shouldn't have any issues with them, especially if you have the stock exhaust. I used my Nelson Rigg tail bag & saddle bags with no problem. After swapping to Scorpion exhaust, I made up some heat shields to protect the bags, but probably didn't need to. :fing02:

ok excellent, I've found a really good deal and figure might as well pick these up. I have CF Two Bros Exhaust btw

• 5 months later...

nice pics.

I'll fit mine today and post some pics too.

I don't have OEM exhaust so I might have to come up with something to avoid getting too close to the pipes.

I have a set on order and am a little concerned as I have Staintune exhaust on my 2002. I also have the rear fender eliminator so it might be interesting mounting them...

I spent about $15 on a 1 1/4" flat steel and made a bracket to push the bags away from the cans. For a first attempt and a first timer I didn't think it turned out too bad and it worked perfectly - I used the rear pegs and the exhaust hanger bolts as mount points. The bracket bends around the cans across the bottom and then is braced against the rear peg mount, it's very solid. The picture kind of shows it...wish I had a better one, sorry!

post-20693-0-63551600-1310488421_thumb.j

Coincidentally I picked up a barely used/like-new set of Tourmaster Cortech sport saddlebags just last week for $70 (1/2 MSRP) from a local seller on craiglist. The friendly seller even offered to bring the bags to my office so that I could test the fit on my viffer. What a deal!

My 5th-generation viffer is equipped w/a Two Brothers high-mount aluminum exhaust and after making a few simple adjustments (thank goodness for velcro!) my bags fit fine and appear to have plenty of clearance (2" is recommended) above the exhaust can. For the front straps I looped the straps and quick release connectors around the passenger foot peg supports and at the rear I simply loop each strap around the license plate light assembly on the rear fender. Setup this way it only takes seconds to install or remove the bags and with the bags off the two short straps w/quick connects are hardly noticeable. Both can also be removed from the bike quickly if desired to remove all signs of the saddlebags.

Wouldn't you know it, but just a few hours before I spotted the seller's ad for the Cortech sport bags, I had already placed an order for a Cortech tribag magnetic tank bag from a seller on e-bay who's offering them w/free shipping for $20 less than other any other seller I've found. Fedex tracking information indicates mine s/b delivered before I arrive home after work today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

This looks like it s/b a versatile and flexible setup for the magnetic mount can be used with just the map pocket attached, with either (or both tank bags) attached or with all of the separate components zipped together to form one assembly. Also, the larger of the two tank bags can be worn separately as a back pack using the built-in pair of adjustable shoulder straps.

Seemed like a good deal for $88, for I've seen a lot of other individual tank bags advertised for considerably more $$, including others offered by Tourmaster. Over the years I've owned two other Tourmaster products and found them to be well engineered and constructed from quality materials. Tourmaster luggage also comes with removable rain guards at no extra cost, unlike the set of already overpriced Chase Harper saddlebags I purchased years ago only to discover afterward that rain guards would have to be purchased at additional cost. Within a few months I also learned that Chase Harper's "lifetime warranty" does not cover fading (the bags I purchased faded noticeably in a short period of time). Oh well, lesson learned.

Edit: I received my Cortech tribag tank bag yesterday and so far am quite pleased with it. The smaller bag is a nice size for carrying a few garments, maps, gloves and includes a handy organizer pocket designed to carry pens, keys and other small misc. items. The larger bag is huge (looks to be nearly as large as one of the sport saddlebags) and can also be worn like a backpack using two built-in adjustable shoulder straps. Each bag and even the map holder have zippered or velcro'd internal and external compartments. I was a little disappointed to discover the map pocket is not designed to attach to the magnetic base all by itself. However will does snap and velcro to the top of either tank bag.

Unfortunately I discovered two items (two-height adjustable rain cover and shoulder/security strap) missing after I opened the undamaged shipping container. I e-mailed the seller (Sportbikesparts2u) this morning and am hopeful of receiving a swift response and resolution for the missing items.

post-22002-0-50994100-1310496339_thumb.j

For what it's worth, I have a set of Cortech TriBag saddlebags that I have used on long trips (Indy GP 2 years ago in Hurricane Ike, and plenty of smaller trips), and they have impressed me. A little larger than the sport bags, and look similar- but fit well over stock pipes. I usually run with the passenger footpegs off/holes plugged, but I strap the saddlebags to them, as there is no other real tie-down in the front. Recommended.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

Come to think of it my bike came with a set of bars that allow the bags to rest against them instead of the cans on the exhaust ! I will try and take some pics so you can see what i mean, they might make all the difference.

I spent about $15 on a 1 1/4" flat steel and made a bracket to push the bags away from the cans. For a first attempt and a first timer I didn't think it turned out too bad and it worked perfectly - I used the rear pegs and the exhaust hanger bolts as mount points. The bracket bends around the cans across the bottom and then is braced against the rear peg mount, it's very solid. The picture kind of shows it...wish I had a better one, sorry!

This is what I'm thinking on doing, but I do not want the bracket permanently on the bike when I don't have the bags.

The Leo Vince pipes do get hot, but I noticed the clamps for the cans have a rubber strap which seem to be able to take the heat fine.

Anyone else with Leos and these bags? thoughts?

• Member Contributer

This is what I'm thinking on doing, but I do not want the bracket permanently on the bike when I don't have the bags.

The Leo Vince pipes do get hot, but I noticed the clamps for the cans have a rubber strap which seem to be able to take the heat fine.

I have Scorpion exhaust, not Leos, but I made heat shields for them to keep my soft bags from coming into direct contact with the cans. Works great, and looks almost like stock exhaust from a distance.

SS2.jpg

SS1.jpg

I don't have Leos, but would suggest that before spending the time and money to fabricate metal brackets that will require time and effort to install and remove for each use of the saddlebags that you first consider experimenting with shortening the velcro straps used to hang the saddlebags across the seat. Doing so should cause the top of each bag to pull inward and cause the motorcycle's bodywork to support more of the weight of the bags so that they will be less inclined to hang inward toward the exhaust and rear wheel when they're weighted down w/gear.

Since doing this will apply more of the saddlebags weight against the bodywork, as a precaution I've purchased some clear vinyl film to lay under all of the the saddlebags' contact points as I'm hopeful this will provide more protection against fine scratches and abrasions caused by movement of the bags while they're mounted. Keep in mind though that the Two Brothers exhaust on my 5th generation is not mounted as high as the undertail cans used on many 6th generation machines.

Last weekend I found a cheap ($3) vinyl shower curtain liner from wallyworld and cut out a section for this. However, I'm still looking around for a heavier-gauge vinyl that hopefully will lay flatter and stick better to my viffer's still-glossy bodywork. If I can find vinyl which will stick better to the surfaces this hopefully should limit how much abrasive dust can blow under the film while I'm riding.

• 1 year later...

I ran the tri Cortech bags for years on my CBR 1000rr and just last month put them on my 09 VFR. I have FMF's and they get warm but no problems with the bags. I might make brackets like the above post.

• Member Contributer

Love mine! My 5th Gen is very minimalist and I like the fact that I have no remnants to look at when I ride without them. I have a high mount Two brothers and I have no conflict issues.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a pair of these saddlebags 2nd hand in like-new condition about 1 1/2 years ago. In general they appear be well constructed and versatile. The bags are also relatively flexible as far as mounting options go thanks to all the heavy-duty velcro provided.

The high-mounted TBR exhaust can on my 5th generation does require some care in order to prevent heat-related damage when I use the bags in the heat of summer however. Like others have commented I do appreciate the fact that unlike hard saddlebags all signs of the soft bags can be removed from the motorcycle in less than a minute, but of course the flip side of this equation means the soft bags and their contents lack the security that can be provided by hard saddlebags.

The only negative I've experienced with the bags so far is with regard to the rain covers. In hopes of avoiding the UV light-induced fading issues I had experienced with a similar set of ($200+) black cordura saddlebags years ago, I had been keeping the rain covers on the bags to shield them from sunlight even when there was no threat of rain in the forecast. Unfortunately, during the ride east on I-40 toward home after attending TMac last May, after stopping for gas I discovered one of the rain covers was in shreds after flapping violently in the wind at ~75 mph for an extended period. Oh well...

I've considered contacting the company to see if they would be willing to provide replacements for the covers under warranty, but so far have not made the effort.....

• 2 years later...

Mine are no longer jet black, the sun is definately fading them. I tried them recently on my Dr 650 and again they fit great. I even tried them for kicks on my Yamaha RD 350. That makes 5 bikes I have had them on. But they mostly stay on the VFR.

Archived