Rear seat cowl.

ausmithy

Hi All,

Does anybody know if there are any signs of an aftermarket rear seat cowl surfacing in the not too distant future?? I'd definitely like to get hold of one if they ever become available.

Cheers,

Smithy.

http://www.corbin.com/honda/hvfr10smug.shtml

Why have a seat cowl when you can have a trunk?

Because it looks cool, ala Gen 6.

Flash

+1. I like the look (and feel) of the stock seat. I bet a seat cowl would look good on my vfr1200f. I think that corbin and sargent seats are fugly!

I really don't care if the seat isn't attractive, I just sit on it. Thinking of getting an aftermarket seat, unless I wear leather pants, I keep sliding forward. Anyone here have experience with another seat option?

Because it looks cool, ala Gen 6.

Flash

So do stickers, but they don't do anything either. At least you can put stuff in the trunk instead of your pockets or fanny pack.

Don't forget about the Axio Tailbag. Costs around $130 and looks good. Lots of storage space.

post-11632-022753800 1288194699_thumb.jp

• Member Contributer

I really don't care if the seat isn't attractive, I just sit on it. Thinking of getting an aftermarket seat, unless I wear leather pants, I keep sliding forward. Anyone here have experience with another seat option?

Six weeks ago, I purchased an 05 VFR that had a Sargent seat on it. I have had neurosurgery in my groin and thought I'd never be able to ride again.

This aftermarket seat made riding possible for me. Obviously, I am very 'aware' or "in tune" with my groin/butt region after having had neurosurgery there.

Not because I've had any problems/symptoms, I just wanted to be extremely cautious - I've tried riding with gel bicycling shorts (from REI) under my

jeans and this has added some cushioning to the ride. However, this may add to much "free-play" or 'slide' to the equation, but that's what I need.

My Sargent seat is very stubborn coming on and off. Other than the difficulty with putting it on and taking it off, it is a really great seat!

Kevin in Atlanta

PS My Sargent seat has red piping which really makes it 'blend' with the red bike.

• 1 month later...

I have only had a relatively brief test ride on the VFR1200 so not a lot of time to poke around, but one of the only disappointing discoveries about this bike (for me) was the apparent lack of any place to conveniently lock up a pair of Oakleys and some misc. small gear. This Corbin trunk looks like a great option but not being able to ride 2-up is troubling. Do you have any thoughts on how much hassle it would be and how long it would likely take to swap back and forth between this and the stock seat (with the grab bars) for those rare opportunities when two of us can go out for a ride? Thanks!

Don't forget about the Axio Tailbag. Costs around $130 and looks good. Lots of storage space.

Your bike looks fantastic Tmausti.

But whoever does Corbin's styling needs to give up their day job...

Your bike looks fantastic Tmausti.

But whoever does Corbin's styling needs to give up their day job...

Hey Muz,

How's it hangin'..?? What's the latest on the "Phantom" then?

I agree with you about Tmausti's bike, that Two Brothers pipe looks pretty damn good, am thinking seriously about one of those, looks like it may clear the right side pannier ok too. I have just over 2000kms on my Veefalo DCT so far and I am still well and truly impressed with it. Although it is a nice thing to ride, it only needs a few minor mods to make it a "real" nice ride.

Power wise the bike has it in spades, so no dramas in that department, torque "aplenty" :fing02: , maybe a PC-V to help smooth things out in the fueling area, also to see if they, (Power Commander) can remove the lower rpm restriction in 1st & 2nd. Am thinking of a set of "Traxxion" cartridges and proper rate springs for the front end and possibly a Penske or Wilbers out the back with a custom spring, any thoughts??

Cheers,

Smithy.

• Member Contributer

Although I can't yet speak about results yet from personal experience (I'm still waiting for my Penske shock to arrive, any day now I'm told), I do believe that work done on suspension is the biggest thing the 1200 needs. I wanted spring rates tailored to fit, adjustable compression damping, and a wider range of adjustment for damping and rebound, front and rear. I decided on Lindeman-reworked forks for the front and a Penske shock in back. And I can't wait to get them installed and dialled in!...

I've been trying to keep track of what others have done. solomoto was the first to try the Lindemann/Penske combination. HispanicSlammer has an Ohlins shock and, I thnk (please correct me if I'm wrong), stock forks. And VFRider recently posted saying he was really happy with his new Traxxion cartridges and Ohlins shock. I'm not aware of anyone else who has changed anything yet. And I haven't read about anyone who had tried a Wilbers shock yet, or Ohlins or Penske cartridges, or any of the other options out there either for that matter. But that doesn't mean they wouldn't be good options to try, just that nobody has yet.

We'll probably never know which combination is "best", but I'm pretty sure that any of them will prove to be "better" than stock. Let us know what you decide to do.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi all. I recently bought a new VFR 1200, after trading in my 03 VFR 800. Anyway, I did some looking on the web and found what I hope will be a very nice seat cowl for the 1200.

Check this one out -

http://www.powerbronzeusa.com/4229636/818262/---HONDA-VFR1200-10-12.model

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I got the Powerbronze seat cowl and took it a step further by getting it painted at a local body shop. To me, the cowl stands out better and looks nicer with the matching red paint, and I like the way it matches the colors on the fuel tank.

post-19903-0-42043400-1341417584.jpg

I got the Powerbronze seat cowl and took it a step further by getting it painted at a local body shop. To me, the cowl stands out better and looks nicer with the matching red paint, and I like the way it matches the colors on the fuel tank.

That looks great. Did you have them match the paint (red), or did you order it and provide it to your shop?

• Member Contributer

The body shop was able to match the paint. Not sure if it's an exact match, but it's definitely close enough :tour:

That looks really really really good. Balances the bike so well.

That looks fucking brilliant!

Wasn't convinced on the cowl before, but after seeing that... I may just have to order it and have the center sprayed silver (black VFR).

Can I be as bold to ask how much did they charge to have it painted like that?

Archived