Getting Acquainted

Awesome ride report!

After looking the bike over and taking it for a spin around the block, I handed over the cashier’s check and we signed the title and bill of sale, and I had my motorcycle.

Did you adjust the suspension before you left?

Just as this ride report will serve as my intro thread over on FZ1OA...

I am over there, too. Same screen name.

The FZ1 does have an ambient temp option...

I had to look this one up. Sure enough, the FZ1 can display coolant or air intake temperature. It defaults to showing coolant temp. Toggle with the Reset button. I'll have to give this a try myself.

The first station I pulled in to was out of premium [gasoline]...

Not knocking, just informing - the FZ1 does not require premium (i.e. pump octane 93 or higher, [R+M/2] method). As long as the pump octane is above 86, the FZ1 should be good! Of course, I understand not wanting to take the chance with a new bike...on such a long trip...! ;-)

I finally make it to Tatum with no sputtering, and fill up at the first gas station I see, with 174 miles showing on the trip meter. Whew.

I have stretched it this far, too. The FZ1 claims to have a 4.76 US gallon fuel tank. I do not know how much of that is usable. The most I have ever put in was 4.5 US gallons. I don't think I have ever gone above 50 miles on the fuel trip, but I have gone at or above 40 miles without running out of fuel. My bike is bone stock. YMMV.

It does have a tendency to eat rear tires, but I think that has as much to do with my wrist as with the bike.

I have a set of Dunlop Road Smarts on now. I swore off Dunlops from past experience on other bikes, but I got a combo deal I could not pass up. I must say, these have been very impressive so far! So impressive I will use them again when this set wears out. For me, these Road Smarts were much improved over a set of Bridgestone BT-021's, and I thought the 21's were good.

• Member Contributer

I knew the rear tire would hold! (mine don't get replaced until they exhale through the cords :blush:)

Imagine not finding gas in Tatum... That wouldabeen something forsure :ohmy:

Thanks for excellent write-up and enjoy your new mistress.

You are now in the best part of the trip :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Man!!!!! This is all too cool for school. Thanks for sharing this. Your pics are tremendous.

Makes me want to run out, buy a tent, and say see y'all later

• Member Contributer

Man!!!!! This is all too cool for school. Thanks for sharing this. Your pics are tremendous.

Makes me want to run out, buy a tent, and say see y'all later

wait a minute... didn't you kinda do that this summer, sans tent? :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Did you adjust the suspension before you left?

I had to look this one up. Sure enough, the FZ1 can display coolant or air intake temperature. It defaults to showing coolant temp. Toggle with the Reset button. I'll have to give this a try myself.

Not knocking, just informing - the FZ1 does not require premium (i.e. pump octane 93 or higher, [R+M/2] method). As long as the pump octane is above 86, the FZ1 should be good! Of course, I understand not wanting to take the chance with a new bike...on such a long trip...! ;-)

I didn't adjust the suspension before leaving; I wasn't going to be riding hard enough at any point that minute adjustments would have any effect, and the weight of my gear wasn't enough to warrant bumping up the preload. I'll probably take it to the suspension guy at the next trackday and have him set it up just right for me.

Good to know regarding the temp gauge and the fuel octane. I wasn't sure whether it would take 87 or not, as the gas tank stickers had been removed (of course), and just didn't want to take the risk. Of course, I didn't know at the time how far away the next gas station was, either!

I knew the rear tire would hold! (mine don't get replaced until they exhale through the cords :blush:)

Imagine not finding gas in Tatum... That wouldabeen something forsure :ohmy:

I wish I was as confident as you with regards to the tire. It caused alot of worry over those few days before getting it replaced. And I don't even want to think about what if there was no fuel in Tatum. I remember thinking to myself that running out of gas in the middle of nowhere would just be the icing on the cake for the ride.

• Member Contributer

Nice report. Thanks for sharing.

As a bit of semantics, I wouldn't really characterize what you rode through as "West Texas" - if you would have been another 100 miles south you would've found the landscape somewhat different. Dunno, I guess I always hung out closer to IH10 and the more mountainous landscape. I lived out that way for many years and used to love going to White Sands. Ruidoso was also very nice for a break from the summer heat. I am quite jealous.

As for running out of gas, I'm glad you didn't! I've had trouble out in the boondocks before, and let me tell you, walking miles through the desert scrub just to find a working phone is no fun! :wink:

Archived