Question(s) for those who have the F4i shock upgrade

spaceman

• Member Contributer

Just had an F4i resprung and rebuilt and will be installing this week. This shock has a ramped-type adjuster, so am I correct in assuming that #1 is full soft and #7 full hard? Also, how the heck do I adjust this when setting sag? Is there a way to get a spanner type wrench in there once I get the wheel back on? Once preload is set for me, that's it as I don't ride with passengers or heavy luggage. Thanks.

turtlecreek was one of the first to do this mod(FotoMoto was first) and said it's a PIA to adjust but doable and once correct SAG is set forgetaboutit! :fing02:

PS I'll mod your title to say shock as I and others have F4i forks too! :blush:

BR

• Member Contributer

turtlecreek was one of the first to do this mod(FotoMoto was first) and said it's a PIA to adjust but doable and once correct SAG is set forgetaboutit! :fing02:

BR

Thanks. Well, I got the shock in today, and as soon as I have a few set of extra hands, I'll set sag. Looking at this thing once installed, I don't know how the hell one could even get a spanner-type adjustment wrench in there. I'll most likely go the "long, heavy screwdriver" route and gently tap her where it needs to go.

BR

Thanks. Well, I got the shock in today, and as soon as I have a few set of extra hands, I'll set sag. Looking at this thing once installed, I don't know how the hell one could even get a spanner-type adjustment wrench in there. I'll most likely go the "long, heavy screwdriver" route and gently tap her where it needs to go.

If you got the right spring then just set it on the 3rd rung and call it good, check Sag of course! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

BR

If you got the right spring then just set it on the 3rd rung and call it good, check Sag of course! :biggrin:

:fing02: Sounds good to me! Yes, it has the right spring courtesy of Jamie Daugherty. Thanks for your help.

• 8 months later...

Jamie Daugherty is making/moding a rear shock for me as we speak. I don't have abs and do have a wheel hugger.... I looked at the service manual and it looks like a simple swap-out... Can it be done without removing hugger ?..........I'm also thinking if I pre-set the pre-load 1 click harder than what I think it should be, that it would make it easier to move after installed if the sag is off?...........Also is there anything I need to know about, to do the swap myself ?

As BR said about a month or so ago, "it's best to do both ends at the same time" ........... Well, I did the front 1st, without doing the rear($$$, & still thinking which avenue to go on the rear. New, or rebuild). So the results of just doing the front was very positive, but as my bike felt more planted, the corning speed increased which finally brought me to what BR was saying, "Do both ends"........ Because now I can see where the front is wanting to go, and the rear is saying take it easy. BR was right, it just took my slow-self, to get to that point.

• Member Contributer

I just put it on the center stand, took off the rear wheel, and went to work. The stock shock came out easy, the f4i took a little "wiggling" but not too bad (this was my first time doing this btw). I haven't done the front yet. I'm still waiting to get my new workshop built. I'm still on the fence on whether I'll attempt it, or have someone do it for me. One word of advice.....set that preload adjuster before you install it! Its a big PIA to set once in. I wish there was an easier way!

I just put it on the center stand, took off the rear wheel, and went to work. The stock shock came out easy, the f4i took a little "wiggling" but not too bad (this was my first time doing this btw). I haven't done the front yet. I'm still waiting to get my new workshop built. I'm still on the fence on whether I'll attempt it, or have someone do it for me. One word of advice.....set that preload adjuster before you install it! Its a big PIA to set once in. I wish there was an easier way!

Do you have to remove the exhaust or anything like that ?

• Member Contributer

I put this shock in my '04. For me at first it was a struggle, I ended up taking off nearly everything, exhaust, rear cowl, that plastic fender thing... I just couldn't wiggle the darn thing into position otherwise. But once I had a good clear work space I was able to get the torque wrench into action on all the bolts. I took BR's advice and just set the preload at #3, haven't figured out a method for getting a wrench in for adjusting it yet. Had Jamie do the rebuild on the shock and install RT gold valves the front end at the same time. Very pleased. fing02.gif

• Member Contributer

I did not have to remove the exhaust. Getting the stock shock out was MUCH more difficult than getting the F4i in. The trick (as I remember) with the F4i was figuring out how to feed the remote reservoir though first as I twisted the shock into place. I left my shock set at full soft, and with my JD set spring, my sag was pretty much perfect. I agree that it would be easier to start a 3 and back off if needed than to try to go up later if needed. Don't forget your stack of washers to set your ride height....

Thx for the responces, looks like I'll at least have to take my wheel-hugger off. I'm not sure if I'll be having that adjustment problem, it looks like it's at the top of this shock(CBR929 shock)?

• Member Contributer

I put this shock in my '04. For me at first it was a struggle, I ended up taking off nearly everything, exhaust, rear cowl, that plastic fender thing... I just couldn't wiggle the darn thing into position otherwise. But once I had a good clear work space I was able to get the torque wrench into action on all the bolts. I took BR's advice and just set the preload at #3, haven't figured out a method for getting a wrench in for adjusting it yet. Had Jamie do the rebuild on the shock and install RT gold valves the front end at the same time. Very pleased. fing02.gif

For the sake of clarity, I removed the mufflers, not the exhaust pipes.

I found this in the suspenion section after going though "8" pages, for those of you that will be wanting to know this in the future.

Archived