1997 gremlins... need sorting before buying

Guest historicVFR

Guest historicVFR

Hey everyone, new to the site but not to riding or owning Hondas. Have a minty '85 VF1100S and a '06 DRZ400SM. Looking at getting a '97 VFR... but bike has issue(s) that I can't quite pin point, but this is going by what he has told me so far. Here's a quote as to what he is describing to me... "When you're riding, it accelerates very slowly and you can only go about 30-35mph. When it's in neutral and you rev it to about 5000rpm it sounds kind of like it's choking out to me. If you keep holding the throttle it will die, but, if you let go it'll just start to idle"

He said the stator was recently replaced, but did not solve the issue as described. Rectifier is still the OEM one, batter is new, no blown fuses that he knows of. Fuel pump bad? Spark plugs have not been replaced.

I have done a full resto on my VF1100S and not worried about getting some things replaced on this VFR, just don't want to be stuck with something too crappy. :D Any suggestions or people that have experienced this possibly? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, good chance that there could be electrical problems as it is a 4th gen, but the description seems to indicate more of a fueling (starvation) problem going on. was this bike put away a long time unridden? There might be varnish clogging up the carburators if this is the case, not exactly that easy to fix as you need to know what you're doing if you have to take the carbs apart, but it sounds like you might already ahve restoration experience.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

Beck

95 VFR

Yes, good chance that there could be electrical problems as it is a 4th gen, but the description seems to indicate more of a fueling (starvation) problem going on. was this bike put away a long time unridden? There might be varnish clogging up the carburators if this is the case, not exactly that easy to fix as you need to know what you're doing if you have to take the carbs apart, but it sounds like you might already ahve restoration experience.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

Beck

95 VFR

It was a daily rider for this owner. Stated to me it just happend about a 100 miles ago or so (had to limp back home)

• Member Contributer

it can only be 3 things if its a charging problem

battery, R/R and stator..

ok..5 things.. the connection block....and the crappy ground wire...

go to autozone and take your battery with you.. get a same size replacement they only cost about 50 bucks and are come with a year warrenty GOOD AT ANY AUTOZONE!! not kidding you!! :fing02:

next.. find your main green wire in the harness.. add eyelets and ground it to the FRAME .. front middle and back of bike.. CLEAN all your contact areas and on the wires and such..

the green wires from the R/R.. ground them straight to the frame!!

and use silver heat transfer compound from the computer store.. put a BIG glob on the back off the R/R

.. add a computer fan while your at it..only cost 10 bucks.

the above is how you save your R/R from going bad.. write it down and stick it on the inside of your tool box lid

find your stater to r/r connection and A)clean the hell out of it..and pinch the female tangs so the male blade must be force into it..

or B) cut off the block and soilder the wire together..

test the stator first.. make sure its in spec and not grounding out. :fing02:

do the above and you should be set! :comp13:

Archived