SCALA Rider Lookalike V2

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

Flanker is right, his topic got mixed up, so I'll remove my posts from his -V1- version topic biggrin.gif

Here the topic is this one:

http://www.dealextre...ls.dx/sku.41067

Well, for the money and use I intend, it is worth the money.

Bought the Nuvi 510 as a replacement for the TomTom that got stoten from the car, where it will spend most of its life... With the Nuvi being waterproof and build to withstand shaking, I will occasionally use it on my 4th gen. I donot want to listen to music, nor take mobile phone calls.

So for the price (a Scala costing 3 4 times the price) I like it.

Sound quality so-so, somewhat distorted but I can make out the GPS instructions fine.

The earphones velcro onto the liner of my Arai and the wires tuck away nicley too.

At 140kmh+ the instructions become very hard to hear, but at normal/city speeds it does the trick.

One gripe is that they shipped the wrong country version for the AC to 5V USB convertor. They know I'm in the Netherland, even the order # has NL in it; so why send me a US one? mellow.gif

I've mailed them the day the package (proper retail box with instruction leaflet) arrived but have yet to hear from them.... So I reserve judgemernt on customer service. Charge the unit via PC usb port for now.

Pairing to Garmin a piece of cake.

07815f5d.jpg

45c0bf4c.jpg

a1dbfd96.jpg

cfde175b.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

2 updates:

AC to USB charger:

the one suplied is a US-spec socket plug (2 flat pins) whereas on mainlan Europa we have 2 round pins. So I contactec their customer support that what they shipped would not work. The user manual with the unit in fact has a picture of the correct one and that that model varies per country.

Well.... after a few exchanges they now say that they only sell the unit with the US socket plugs and that I should have seen that on the picture on their website.................

It now states US plug on their website and am pretty sure that to be a recent change....

Use at higher speed (>100kmh)

or lack thereof..... because the BT connection then breaks up.

So

for the cost and intended use (donot need GPS instructions when riding over 100) I'd say 5/10......

Save your pennies and buy a SCALA......

Ordered mine on Aug 23, 2010 and still haven't received it yet (OCt 6), I'm now wondering if Deal extreme is a bogus company. I emailed them several times and not one reply.

• Member Contributer

Ordered mine on Aug 23, 2010 and still haven't received it yet (OCt 6), I'm now wondering if Deal extreme is a bogus company. I emailed them several times and not one reply.

Hello Dae

That is what I did (emailing them) and not getting a reply...

Then spotting that you contact their customer service via a link on their page, looging in with your ordernumber and email adress you used to place the order.

I got a reply in 24 hours (not the reply I wanted but a reply nevertheless)

http://www.dealextreme.com/accounts/

Good luck

Flanker is right, his topic got mixed up, so I'll remove my posts from his -V1- version topic :biggrin:

Here the topic is this one:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.41067

Well, for the money and use I intend, it is worth the money.

Bought the Nuvi 510 as a replacement for the TomTom that got stoten from the car, where it will spend most of its life... With the Nuvi being waterproof and build to withstand shaking, I will occasionally use it on my 4th gen. I donot want to listen to music, nor take mobile phone calls.

So for the price (a Scala costing 3 4 times the price) I like it.

Sound quality so-so, somewhat distorted but I can make out the GPS instructions fine.

The earphones velcro onto the liner of my Arai and the wires tuck away nicley too.

At 140kmh+ the instructions become very hard to hear, but at normal/city speeds it does the trick.

One gripe is that they shipped the wrong country version for the AC to 5V USB convertor. They know I'm in the Netherland, even the order # has NL in it; so why send me a US one? :mellow:

I've mailed them the day the package (proper retail box with instruction leaflet) arrived but have yet to hear from them.... So I reserve judgemernt on customer service. Charge the unit via PC usb port for now.

Pairing to Garmin a piece of cake.

Hey Dutchy; Is this review for the linked radio? because it's a tad different on the webpage compared to your photos. Mostly the buttons so it's probably the same?

I'm checking options now for radios, seeing here recommendations for the Scala, and now this.

Please let me know!. Thanks.

HB

• 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I recent bought one of the "V2" sets from an ebay seller. Great seller fortunately, because the intercoms are junk. The headset jack on both of them broken within 2 weeks. Sending them back for a refund.

I would avoid them.

I bought two. They just don't work reliably. They will now sit on my shelf for a few years and then be thrown out.

• Member Contributer

used mine today in conjunction with my garmin. At speeds under 80kmh it works fine. So for what I paid I am happy.

is a scala g4 better? Sure. At a price....

Archived