rear fairing fasteners

Guest kennybobby

Guest kennybobby

Dat gum bolts loosened while riding and dropped out--lost the big-head bolts, the collars and the plastic spacers on both sides of the rear fairings! Rats i bet they cost a pretty penny OEM new...

• Member Contributer

dont buy new! :excl: go to your honda shop and show the mechanic whats missing 10 to 1 says he has a stash of bits that will work..

and go to the home depot or ace hardware if he doesn't

Normally I would agree that a regular bolt shop is the place to go. The fiche will tell you the thread and length req'd but these are the franken bolts and not available elsewhere and they have a funky plastic collar that holds the fairing in place. Given this is a Gen4, that is rather important. You could get a bolt and washer combo to go in there but you run the risk of cracking the fairing if you over tighten it, or it falling out if you don't. The franken bolt is shouldered so can do it up nice and tight without damaging the fairing.

Number 27 & 28 here; Ron Ayers Fiche

Part# 90113-MY7-000, BOLT, COWL SETTING & 90502-MY7-000, COLLAR, RR.... together $13 so not so bad.

• 2 years later...

If you're not using the "Frankenbolts" as tie down point for bungies or straps, you might consider just replacing it with the larger cone topped faring bolts as used on the other main anchor points on the fairings as I do on my 4th gen:

Picture001-2.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Anyway, they look much better and more finished than the frankenbolts any day as they blend in with the other main fairing bolts on the bike.

Just make sure you also buy the rubber bushing that the cone topped bolts go through on the faring panels. I use the rubber bushings to provide some cushion between the bolts and the tail faring panel, plus they provide friction to keep the bolts from loosening from vibration. I carry a spare bolt and rubber washer the under the seat anyway, in case they do fall out while I'm out on a ride.

Make a point to always check the bolts before every ride so you don't lose them again. That will be a good idea for anything you decide to replace the originals with.

Beck

95 VFR

Archived