R/R dying?

skymon

• Member Contributer

Without going into all the red herrings associated with my search to find out why my clock would reset occasionally on startup...

Just the facts:

The stator checks out fine

New battery

No melted or suspect ground connections (except small amount of corrosion on neg battery cable connector)

Original R/R 23,000 mi.

Voltage readings before cleaning negative battery cable

Bike off--12.75v

Key on--12.21v

Starter cranking--10.90v

Idle-- 13.25-13.35v

5k rpm-- 13.00v

Voltage readings after cleaning negative battery cable

Bike off--12.95v

Key on--12.20v

Starter cranking--11.00v

Idle-- 13.60-13.80v

5k rpm-- 13.4-13.5v

So, looks like the clean battery cable helped but I'm still not getting more volts with more rpm. Not really low, not erratic (pretty much always 13-14v when engine running) but not more volts with more rpm, in fact its consistently higher at idle than 5k.

I think I'm planning on getting a new MOSFET R/R and VFRness from Tightwad but I guess I'm wondering if I'm doing it pre-emptively or because I need it now.

You need to... My R/R had the exact same symptoms. It's dying. Mine fried 2 batteries before I figured out what was happening. Your charging voltage is probably fluctuating even more when you're on the move. Get that new R/R and VFRness from Tightwad. I did, and my charging voltage is dead stable and good.

• Member Contributer

At nearly 60K on my 99 with the original R/R and stator, I average 13.8 volts as measured across the battery at most RPM's. It will rise a bit at times and sometimes drops to 13.6 for a few seconds. The R/R has a fan on it and extra heat shielding as well as wires jumping all the connectors leading to and from it and a super cleaned and polished ground connection from the battery to frame.

The 13.8 volts has never given me or my battery any sort of problem and keeps it charged nicely.

This is just a point of information. I don't think a reading of over 14 volts is necessary.

• Member Contributer

Over 14V not necessary, correct. But when the voltage drops with increase in RPMs, he has all the other parts checked out OK. The r/r is dying. The 90 service manual had a ohm check for the r/r between pins, but I don't think the later models do.

See Josh. Solder, don't crimp. Love with all your heart, dance like...wait...just go to wiremybike.com!

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Thanks. At least its good to know mine are not all that unusual observations. I suppose a Datel meter would be nice for the future. The meter slides off the tank above 110mph.

Archived