VFR1200 engine in 4th Gen

93 VFR750 RC36

Question

Gang,

OK, the VFR1200 engine has been designed so the rear two cylinders are close together with the front two spaced (for packaging). This may mean that it isn't beyond the whit of man to shoehorn one into a Gen 4 frame.

+

R1 front end in billet triple clamps, carbs or bespoke FI and a gallon or so of elbow grease.

=

Rather hairy sleeper RC36FF (BH for "Friggin Frightening")

Just dreaming and scheming. Any positive or negative criticism welcome!

Stew

3 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Personally, I wouldn't want that. My biggest attraction to the 4th gen is the engine. Not really sure what the advantage would be of tossing the 1200 engine in a 4th gen other than power.

I wasn't thinking about this as a direct replacement for my Gen 3. I too love the 750 and the comfortable fast touring it offers, although I wouldn't mind another 15 ponies at times.

I was thinking more of a 2nd Veefer to be rolled out for those dry summer days when one wants more 'sport' than 'touring', wants it to be a V-4 but not quite as single purpose as an HRC RC35 or 45. It'd still be a VFR in riding position and style, but offer the performance to reel in most of the inline-4 upstarts that one finds tearing around.

The shaft drive issue would require some thought. Probably need to build a chain drive adapter of some kind. I'd need to have a close look at the gearbox and output shaft housing to see what the art of the possible was. I guess that would fit in the 'gallon of elbow grease' bit.

Plus, what a project! It'd be worth it just to create a talking point over one's pub lunch.

Stew

Archived